Hello

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
tfu72author
Issues: OCD, Depression, Social Anxiety, Food Addiction
preferred pronoun: he

Hello

Post by tfu72author »

Hi, I'm new to these boards, and a new listener of the podcast.

I've been struggling with a couple of different mental issues throughout my adult life - OCD and depression have probably been the most time-consuming.

I've struggled with depression since childhood. My OCD issues started when I was in my early twenties, though it took me awhile to even realize I had a problem. It took on a lot of different forms, often involving an urge to throw away perfectly-good items, like pens, pencils, paper, etc.

Probably the worst incidents that came out of my OCD were:
(1) standing up a friend I was supposed to meet at a museum one afternoon because I ended up staying home to do some OCD rituals and I completely lost track of time. I never told that friend the real reason I didn't show up... and our friendship ended not long after that incident.
(2) I purchased a perfectly good, brand-new labtop computer for about $1,000; the next day, I threw it away because of my OCD compulsion. (That incident still makes me cringe whenever I remember it).

For whatever reason, my OCD habits have subsided significantly in the last few years... not sure why, but I guess I should just accept it as a blessing and be happy - though I still have occasional bouts of depression and still worry that my OCD might come back someday. What really troubles me about it is, when I was really deep into my OCD rituals, it all seemed like totally acceptable behavior. It was only when looking back that I realize how bad things had gotten.

I've been toying with the idea of going to one-on-one therapy (went to one for a period when I was much younger for my depression, but didn't stick with it), but I'm kind of hesitant. I was also thinking of trying to commit to going to some type of group therapy (tried that once, but again, didn't stick with it).

Anyway, sorry for the rambling/incoherent intro - just want to say hello, and say that I think this message board is a great idea.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Hello

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello tfu72author, welcome to our little forum. Make yourself at home in the threads and topics here. :D

Forum tips: You can keep up with all activity on the forum by clicking “View active topics” under the main Board index. And when you post, you can subscribe to the replies by clicking on “Subscribe topic” at the bottom of the page – you can also use this functionality to subscribe to new replies of any topic that interests you.

I personally don't know much about OCD. I do have personal experience with depression.

Keep the lines of communication open. Take care!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”