New listener

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
TheFunkMaster13
Issues: Anxiety, depression, dysfunctional family with multigenerational addicts,
preferred pronoun: She

New listener

Post by TheFunkMaster13 »

I'm a new listener to the podcast, I learned of it through YouTube and was immediately hooked. It was perfect timing as I had my first therapy appointment a week before I learned of the podcast. I could write a list a mile long of all my experiences related to my mental health. But, I really just wanted to dip my toes in the water on the forum to start. The key points of my personal story is I was raised in a multigenerational family of addicts, some members emotionally leaned on me from the time I was a child and other were emotionally unavailable. From that I've struggled with anxiety and depression. I have severe avoidance issues and this comes out with my controlling habits, and mild symptoms similar to OCD, and disassociation. I've had many deaths in my family. I'm 24 atm, and all my parental figures were gone by the time I was 22. As I've gotten older I've also come to realize with time, age, and experience that I have a lot of sexual repression issues as surpressed memories have been surfacing recently. I'm new to therapy. I've only been a few times so far and have been taking things slowly. My therapist specializes in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and I'm hoping it will be helpful, and I'm working to keep an open mind. So far I like him. I'm in a very loving and stable relationship currently. He's so supportive. I want a future for the first time in my life, I genuinely get excited by the thought since we've been together. But I don't want to take anything toxic or unhealthy into my future and that was a large contributing factor to me seeking therapy. I'd love to meet new people to connect with and seek any advice you may have to offer, as well as, reciprocate. Thanks! Nice to meet you all!
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Re: New listener

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Hi Funkmaster13 and welcome!
Sounds like you had a rough start in life. I'm so glad you have a supportive relationship to give you stability as you explore. I hope your therapist turns out to be the same. I know having a therapist and partner who are consistent and accepting has been crucial to me in my journey.
My only advice is self care. It's so important as we tackle the hard stuff.
Hugs anytime you need them.
Heather
TheFunkMaster13
Issues: Anxiety, depression, dysfunctional family with multigenerational addicts,

Thanks so much! Hopefully I can get to a place where self care comes more easily. Reach out any time you need it!
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Funkmaster13,

Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about your relatives. Lots of pain there, and its being passed on..... And it's sad that you don't have adult figures now that you can relate to, now that you're an adult.

But I'm glad to see you're in a better place, and it seems like you have good self-awareness that'll help you work thru things.

From what I've seen Psychiatry seems to have two approaches, very roughly -
Freudian (theory) - "Why am I this way"?
Cognitive (practice) - "What can I do about it, by changing my thinking patterns?"
I guess a little of each is what it takes, right?

Wishing you well!

SD

BTW - Being the Funkmaster13 and all, maybe you can suggest a few tracks to add to our Music thread...? :whistle: :violin:
TheFunkMaster13

Thanks for your reply!
I wish you all the best too, and would love to every others stories as well! And I will definitely hop into the music forum and start posting, I have a wide variety of music to share and love to explore new options! Thanks for the tip!
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

good luck with therapy and welcome to the forum
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
TheFunkMaster13

Thank you!

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”