Just lost my job; trying to hold it together

This is reserved for professionals to talk to each other. If you aren't a professional and want to talk to one, click on Ask a Professional and choose one of our professional volunteers.
AntisocialWorker
Issues: Depression; anxiety that has features of GAD, social and PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Just lost my job; trying to hold it together

Post by AntisocialWorker »

I'm glad to be here because I have a pathological inability to ask for help in real life and it seems easier online. I got fired today because my depression, anxiety, and PTSD and OCD symptoms made it hard for me to sleep and caused me to be late for work repeatedly. Plus I'm behind on rent, I've got overdue bills, the dog needs a vet appointment - just a lot of shit piling up.

But the biggest stressor might be the notion that I need to decide my career path in the next few weeks. The job I got fired from was crisis counseling. I liked it and was good at it, but clearly I was taking a lot of stress and sadness home that contributed to the sleep issue. So I'm wondering if I should be applying for jobs simular to the one I just lost or if I should be applying for less stressful jobs.

In other words, just how wounded can a healer be before he needs to quit?
oak

Re: Just lost my job; trying to hold it together

Post by oak »

How is it going, 24 hours in?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
AntisocialWorker
Issues: Depression; anxiety that has features of GAD, social and PTSD

Post by AntisocialWorker »

Hey, thanks for responding. It's hard to say so far. I went to a support group last night but it didn't help as much as usual. I wanted to clean today but I just played on my phone. So I'm kind of feeling like I can't do much and the depression and anxiety are running things.

Sigh... I know things will probably get better, but they suck right now.
oak

Post by oak »

Good good good.

You are doing smart, good things: going to a support group and using your words here.

If you like, and you are welcome to say no, I can offer some thoughts and perspectives on getting fired. It has happened to me three times. If you like, I can speak to you man to man, give it to you straight.

Let me know.

You chose a delightful forum name; I can tell you have a fine mind.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Zambiayum
Issues: family problems
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Zambiayum »

Sorry to hear that.
Darth_Tjader
Issues: Addiction, Anxiety, Bi Polar, Depression, Murder-Suicide Survivor, PTSD

Post by Darth_Tjader »

Think of it as a push in a different direction. I've had jobs I thought I'd have forever and would make a good living at and ended up bringing too much of my baggage and lost them. I've had to change jobs so many times I feel like my resume is a comedy to anyone I apply to now. But I started looking at all kinds of occupation clusters online, in fields I'd thought I'd be horrible at and avoided for years and am finding a vast interest in those possibilities. But stay strong with anything you choose to do and you've got people here routing for ya!
jwhed

Post by jwhed »

Sorry to hear that
json formatter online, Spanish dictionary & translator

Return to “Mental Health Professional to Professional”