Defining "therapist"...

This is reserved for professionals to talk to each other. If you aren't a professional and want to talk to one, click on Ask a Professional and choose one of our professional volunteers.
DontLetsBeSilly

Defining "therapist"...

Post by DontLetsBeSilly »

I am hoping someone can shed some light for me! When during a podcast the term "therapist" is used - what mental health professional is this referring to? I'm from Australia so I'm wondering if there's a difference in terminology between us and the US. I have studied a bachelor in psychology and am now studying counselling postgrad. As an aspiring psychotherapist I was just hoping for some clarity on whether Paul and his guests and more commonly talking about psychiatrists, psychologists, counsellors or psychotherapists? Particularly in reference to long-term talk therapy relationships.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :P
RSRA
Issues: PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Anorexia
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Defining "therapist"...

Post by RSRA »

Counselor and Therapist are two pretty interchangeable terms in the US (and each is used more in different parts of the country), but I've seen the term "Therapist" used to denote anyone who is a Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor. I've sometimes heard people not differentiate between "Psychologist" and "Therapist", but that's pretty rare. Psychotherapist isn't used nearly as much as it used to be, and I think it might be because licensure to be a psychotherapist isn't required in a lot of places.

I hope this helps! :)
DontLetsBeSilly

Post by DontLetsBeSilly »

Thanks so much! It seems to be different depending on who you talk to... and where they're from ;) It's nice to get a clearer picture of who is who in the US :D
Kashif
Issues: Economic issues
preferred pronoun: he

Post by Kashif »

This is exceptionally decent and respectable post you rock for posting such sweet message.......!!!!!

We are the leading the world in providing best ccna study and prep solutions. Our incredible offers for 300-115 and 70-243 at reasonable prices; our www.tabor.edu is very rare in Florida Institute of Technology.

Return to “Mental Health Professional to Professional”