How to reach out?

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
emo
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Panic attacks, unwanted thoughts
preferred pronoun: she

How to reach out?

Post by emo »

I need some help. My 20 year old son & his 18 year old fiance are in denial about their mental illnesses. I am worried mostly for my grandson, their seven month old baby. I want them to get help, but I know I can't make them do anything. My son is depressed & has anxiety issues, his fiance has told me that she is bipolar, but is not medicated & doesn't plan to ever go on meds again. They both are heavy marijuana smokers, high school drop outs with out drivers licenses or steady jobs. My son works part time for a friend of his, but no steady income. They spend every dime they get as soon as they can & then bitch about being broke. They live with my ex-husband...it's a very co-dependent tangled web that they live in. I recently bought them some books - one about finances & budgeting, one about depression & anxiety & two about bipolar - one for her & one for him. I know I can't make them read the books, but I feel like it is something I can do to let them know that I am aware of their struggles & can be helpful if they'd let me.
I really would like some help with how to give them the books & what to say when I do give them to them. I don't want to strain our relationship any more than it already is & yet I know it will strain the relationship, these aren't easy people to talk to or deal with . They are very manipulative & I have a hard time dealing with them on the best of days.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”