Please help me, do I have a mental illness?

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
qwert_zxc
Issues: I have ADHD but believe I might have something else that I don't know of
preferred pronoun: He

Please help me, do I have a mental illness?

Post by qwert_zxc »

I know right now that I have ADHD but some of the stuff I'm doing doesn't sound like ADHD symptoms. I want to know if the stuff I am doing are symptoms of some mental illness and if so what can I do to get help. So let me explain, first off I am somewhat of a hermit. I can make friends at school but whenever they try to invite me to hang out I make excuses as to why I can't hang out. I would ususlly go home just to play video games or go on my computer all day. I am starting to break that habit but for the longest time I just did not want to be with any peers. Also I had social anxiety for a long time. I just beat it like half a year ago. So you're probably thinking right now oh I'm probably just an introverted person but trust me it gets worse. So this next part I had to build up a lot of courage to openly talk about because it's just so goddamn embarrassing. I have a real bad hygiene problem. I don't clean my room, I go weeks without showering, don't change my bed sheets enough and etc. Wow that's embarrassing :( . I heard that this is called self neglect and I read the cause for this and it sounds like the reason I have poor hygiene. I just don't have the motivation. Idk y but I don't have the motivation to do anything to I would say better myself. In a way I don't care for myself but I want to. And this is the biggest problem I have that I want to deal with because it's nasty. But I find it kinda weird that I have acknowledged the problem but still need help, you'd think me not wanting to be like this is all it would take to make a change but for some reason I'm still not motivated. Also I am not motivated at all in school but idk that could just be a teenager thing. Lastly A LOT goes on in my head. I know it is normal for human beings to have an internal dialogue but my mind is constantly racing. This might not even be a mental illness trait and personally don't mind it for the most part so I'll keep it short so I can wrap this up. ALL the time I am engaged in like really deep thought. There is never a moment my brain is in autopilot. Like every little thing I do I have to think massively about. That's the best I could do to explain it cause it's hard to explain. Also I always feel this sense of like whats the point of anything. I had these feelings and thoughts I can remember since preschool but only started really thinking about them in freshman year of high school two years ago because the thoughts were too complex and scary back then. I'll be doing something and then the thought that everything is meaningless, everyone I know and I and my probable future children will die and even someday humanity will die so whats the point. That type of thinking happens a lot. So what do you guys think what I want to know the most is why am I like this about my hygiene and why do I have no motivation for anything? Oh yeah and sometimes I get stressed out and anxious over absolutely nothing.
fifthsonata

Re: Please help me, do I have a mental illness?

Post by fifthsonata »

Honestly, we aren't qualified medical professionals. To get a diagnosis, you need to see someone in person - and even then, it will take months for them to give you an adequate diagnosis. Every person is different, they manifest symptoms in different ways, and it takes time for a doctor to diagnose something like that.

If you suspect something, if you feel as if your symptoms are interfering with your daily life - that should be your sign to go see someone.
dileepkrishna

Re: Please help me, do I have a mental illness?

Post by dileepkrishna »

If you have any mental illness then go to calm and cool atmosphere. Take best place to visit for fresh mind. Mental depression gives negative thoughts so that all are going to temples and churches for refreshing their mind. I can see sree Mridanga Saileswari temple is the one of the best place to visit your mental treat.

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”