Lithium and weight gain

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
BreakingTraining77
Issues: Bi Polar Disorder, Alcoholism, Self Esteem Issues.
preferred pronoun: He

Lithium and weight gain

Post by BreakingTraining77 »

Hi,

I've been on Lithium 600 mg, twice daily for Bipolar 1 for close to five years now. Personally, I think it's a wonder drug for me combined with regular counseling and routine blood work. The down side is I've gained close to 10 pounds that I can't seem to shed. It's not drastic on an appearance basis as I've always been in the 36 - 38 waist range, but I wanted to know this has happened to anyone else. I'm also Levotharoxide .75 ml, once a day. While I'll be the first to admit I'm more of an "eat on the fly" guy due to the nature of my job(s), I'm not not an over eater.

Any advise wold be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave
RSRA
Issues: PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Anorexia
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Lithium and weight gain

Post by RSRA »

Hi Dave,

This is normal. Lithium in its chemical (non-pill) form is a salt, which can cause you to retain water or gain weight. Good question! :)

Best,

Ryan

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”