Tapering off of Seroquel

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
Dazed & Confused
Issues: OCD
Bipolar II
Suicidal Attempts
preferred pronoun: she

Tapering off of Seroquel

Post by Dazed & Confused »

Hi there!

I've been on Seroquel 600mg for a few years now and was on two different antipsychotics before that. Basically I've had one in my system for about 7 years. And I HATE them. They make me gain weight, feel dumb, and render me completely unable to get out of bed in the morning. I told my PMHNP that I wanted to taper off and she casually said ok and handed over Trazodone and Ativan to help me sleep during the transition. Not really how I wanted to do this, but oh well. So I start tapering down by 200mgs at a time. And after losing my goddamn mind my dr suggested I decrease by 100mgs instead.

So, I'm down to 200mgs now and I can't sleep, I'm restless and combative, my hallucinations are back, and I feel like my brain is manic but me body is depressed.

Sorry for the long post. I'm wondering if anybody else has tapered off of Seroquel and what they're experience was like. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Tapering off of Seroquel

Post by brownblob »

I've never been on Seroquel, but wishing you good luck with it. I've had some side effects coming off antidepressants before, but nothing like what you are dealing with.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”