Please tell me the truth

Erin was inspired to become a therapist through her own struggles with depression and anxiety and specializes in working with individuals suffering from major depression (including suicidal thoughts), chronic anxiety and/or emotionally abusive relationships. She is based in Los Angeles.
Lilac

Please tell me the truth

Post by Lilac »

I just want to know the truth. Is depression curable or are we simply managing the symptoms and it will only be kept at bay temporarily? It seems like simply question but I have never been able to find an answer. Thanks for your time. Lilac
donkarp
Issues: Recovered schizophrenic researching psychotherapy dissatisfaction.
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Please tell me the truth

Post by donkarp »

Hi Lilac--

From my understanding, most depression goes away spontaneously without treatment.
In fact, there are studies showing how when treated with meds, depression is more likely to relapse than if meds are not taken.

So my answer would be that depression, unlike schizophrenia and other maladies, more readily is cured.
I'm looking for how I might help those dissatisfied with psychotherapy to find self care programs.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to reply to you anyways. I would hope that depression is curable, but even if it is not the case for me, I really want to be able to manage it. For me, depression comes from my negative thoughts and I'm trying to get to know more about my thought patterns and why I feel the way I do. Personally, the work of Byron Katie is helping me open my eyes in ways I've never been able to do before.

Medication is also helping, but I don't think it's that single factor that works. I think we need all of the help we can get to deal with our depression. If I can learn from my depression, I hope I can be open to that and not see it as an enemy I have to battle with. Sometimes, I act so irrational and crazy, I hurt the people I love around me. Last night, I felt as though I was going to be one of those crazy people who run around the neighborhood naked (I'm embarrassed to admit). But just listening to Byron Katie on YouTube made me feel sane and normal again.

I hope we can all take advantage of all of the help that are out there. I'm certainly taking advantage of this community and thankful that I saw your post. I feel less alone and crazy.
Fargin
Issues: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Post by Fargin »

Maybe managing it, is the cure.

I find that the better I manage it, the easier it is to keep at bay. I really liked the episode with Adam Carolla, where he said, depression also atrophies your body, weaken your muscles. For me, I have to condition myself constantly to fight my instinctive urge to play dead or hibernate in my bed in, I have to override my instinct to be a deer in the headlights and be more active, so instead of freezing the the headlight, I have to actively move out of the oncoming cars path.

I think my instinct to freeze is so deeply ingrained, I maybe have to manage it for the rest of my life, but I've also experienced, that the better I manage my depression, the easier it is to manage it, but no matter how well I manage it, there's always this tiny voice in my head, telling it's just easier to give up. I know, I can't though. Giving up is an unbearable place for me to be, so I, for a lack of a better word... manage. I have to.

Return to “Erin Fox Bishop MFT Intern”