Episode 316: Kevin Allison on Owning Your Weirdness & Flaws

SpookyGhost
Issues: Anxiety, self harm, PTSD, childhood sexual abuse, rape, emotional eating
preferred pronoun: She

Episode 316: Kevin Allison on Owning Your Weirdness & Flaws

Post by SpookyGhost »

The podcaster (RISK!) and sketch actor (The State) talks about learning to "own his weirdness". From being a gay kid in a conservative town to being the black sheep in The State he has battled the paralysis and fear of not being perfect or even good enough. He shares about his attempt at being a prostitute, the 12 year gap between The State ending and him starting Risk! and how he learned to find his authentic voice when he was at his lowest and how he still struggles to act and feel like a grown-up.

Follow Kevin on Twitter @TheKevinAllison

Check out RISK! at www.risk-show.com

Check out his classes www.thestorystudio.org

For info on Paul's upcoming live podcasts in Oakland Feb 22-23 go to www.eastbayexpress.com/mental

To become a monthly supporter of The Mental Illness Happy Hour go to www.patreon.com/mentalpod

This episode is sponsored by BetterHelp online counseling. To try a free week go to www.BetterHelp.com/mental (you must be at least 18)

This episode is sponsored by MadisonReed hair color kits. For 10% off your first kit and free shipping go to www.Madison-Reed.com and use offer code HAPPY

This episode is sponsored by MVMT Watches. For 15% off plus free shipping and free returns go to www.MVMTWatches.com/mental

This episode is sponsored by ZipRecruiter. To post jobs for free go to www.ZipRecruiter.com/first
oak

Re: Episode 316: Kevin Allison on Owning Your Weirdness & Fl

Post by oak »

A wonderful episode.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
FingerLak3s

Re: Episode 316: Kevin Allison on Owning Your Weirdness & Fl

Post by FingerLak3s »

I feel like this is the most candid and refreshing Kevin Allison has been. I've been listening to his podcast for years and dug deep into the archives and, as he says on this episode, he became like a character. He would keep telling the same stories or same kinds of stories that, while truthful, never went past a certain depth of emotion.

I share a bunch of Kevin's negative thoughts and like he said when he answered Michael Ian Black those years ago, all of them are basically me puking up the things I heard my family insult me with for years. I've been sexually active for nearly 10 years and still in the back of my head all the ignorant homophobic shit my older brother said to me and it makes me very nervous. I never had that older/more experienced gay friend to give me a real education and get rid of my ignorant fears so even though I had to learn myself I don't feel confident at all.

Return to “Podcast Episodes/Surveys”