367 - Food Owns Me & Dad Issues - Jay Larson

SpookyGhost
Issues: Anxiety, self harm, PTSD, childhood sexual abuse, rape, emotional eating
preferred pronoun: She

367 - Food Owns Me & Dad Issues - Jay Larson

Post by SpookyGhost »

The writer (HBO's Crashing) and stand-up (Me Being Me) opens up about his dad abandoning his family when he was 2 years-old and how that has effected his view of the world, himself and now his children. He talks about his struggles with food, anger, making mistakes, letting people into his life for fear of them disappointing him and he also discusses his need as a child to care for his overburdened mother after his father left.

For more on Jay, including his new special "Me Being Me" go to www.JayLarsonComedy.com

Follow him on Twitter at @JayLarsonComedy www.Twitter.com/JayLarsonComedy

Follow him on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/JayLarsonComedy
Not Ready Yet
Issues: HSP, SAD, CCS, poss. AvPD
preferred pronoun: she

Re: 367 - Food Owns Me & Dad Issues - Jay Larson

Post by Not Ready Yet »

Great episode; I related quite a bit to Jay's childhood struggles.

I really appreciated Jay's honesty when he said, "I think I might love being a dad more than I love my kids." A lot of raw and gritty stuff gets shared on this podcast, but that is an amazing bit of plain, out-and-out honesty he shared. As a kid, I often got this sense this about my parents... that they liked being a parent, having that role, and giving their kids what they had wanted to get as children, more than they actually liked (or wanted to get know) me.

For anyone who is a parent, I think this thing--of giving your kids what you wanted--would be a great thing to discuss with your kids. I'm not saying you should let your kids run the show, but find out if what you're giving them IS what they want. I lead a fairly programmed life as kid with a sometimes relentless routine of activities, lessons, practices, and competitions in music, sports, scouting, etc. While I did enjoy much of it, I longed for some of the family type activities (game nights, outings, camping, vacations) that other kids talked about and ours just didn't do. And I suspect if I had kids, I might do a 180 from my parents and go overboard immersing them family activities to the point where they'd want to go do their own thing.

Return to “Podcast Episodes/Surveys”