Andy Richter

SpookyGhost
Issues: Anxiety, self harm, PTSD, childhood sexual abuse, rape, emotional eating
preferred pronoun: She

Andy Richter

Post by SpookyGhost »

The comedic actor, improviser and longtime Conan O'Brien sidekick opens up about his battles with depression, worry, anxiety and sadness and how he has learned to manage them with talk therapy. He also shares about the illusion he held that acquiring money and getting married would "fix him". He talks about growing up in a combative, eventually-divorced house where humor was prized and how he felt shortly after that, learning his father had come out as gay.

http://mentalpod.libsyn.com/andy-richter
Ihavetinnitus_mawp
Issues: Depression, Anxiety, Emotional Neglect, Emotional Abuse, Misophonia

Re: Andy Richter

Post by Ihavetinnitus_mawp »

I have been struggling to find a therapist that is a good fit for me and the timing of this episode is uncanny. When Andy was talking about how you just have to keep trying until something works but also empathized with how impossible that can feel while depressed just felt like the universe speaking directly to me at a moment when that was what I needed to hear. I will keep trying. Thank you Andy & Paul.
SpookyGhost
Issues: Anxiety, self harm, PTSD, childhood sexual abuse, rape, emotional eating

Post by SpookyGhost »

Man, I totally get that too. It's hard to explain just how difficult it is to be motivated to do *anything* when you're in the throes of depression.
SpookyGhost

Post by SpookyGhost »

I really enjoyed this episode. I had no idea about Andy's parents and his own struggles, even though I've been a fan for over 20 years.
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

Funny thing. I was on YouTube only recently watching episodes of "Andy Richter Controls the Universe." :-)

If you can get a message to Andy, please let him know there's still at least one person out here who thinks that was the best show ever.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.

Return to “Podcast Episodes/Surveys”