533 - Cults – Dr Janja Lalich

snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

533 - Cults – Dr Janja Lalich

Post by snoringdog »

Will be listening to this one with interest.

I joined a fundamentalist Christian group after high school, and it brings me some shame.... :roll: :oops:
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: 533 - Cults – Dr Janja Lalich

Post by snoringdog »

Hmm... Typed in a follow-up, but the system timed me out, and it got lost.

So, the episode was not really what I expected. Dr. Lalich joined what seemed to be a very small political group, led by a "failed academic" who was an alcoholic. I kept wondering what the draw was to make her work so hard for so long.... What was the attraction & attachment...?

My experience was with a group of mostly young people I met who studied the Bible, in the mid 70's. Pretty vanilla stuff really, and I think there was something in the water at the time. ;)
Not political at all, and it did wonders for my depression and ennui. I felt really welcomed and a part of something meaningful.
And some friends did say it helped to remove them from difficult home situations.

The cult behaviors (group-think) and the narcissism of the leader are obvious now, but it wasn't all bad and I can't paint him as "evil" really. Megalomania coupled with some level of true belief (his father was some kind of minister too it appears). He thought he was onto scriptural enlightenment thru biblical interpretation, and would reach the world with it...

So, I've heard guests discuss their backgrounds in Scientology, Christian Science, and Mormonism, but nothing that quite jibes with my experience...

Return to “Podcast Episodes/Surveys”