New Podcast Ideas

Post discussions as new topics.
TinaMarie1234

New Podcast Ideas

Post by TinaMarie1234 »

Not sure where to post this, but a few quick ideas:
An open mic type show, where, like on THE MOTH podcast, listeners share their funny stories - perhaps they could record them and send them in via email? I'm stuck on how these might be both funny and relevant to the podcast without being funny and depressing at the same time....I'll let the more creative types weigh in on that point. It would be a good way to enjoy some more laughs and feel supported.

The other idea would be to have one or more female comedians on who have started including rape as a theme in their shows - i.e. exposing society's preconceived notions about it, talking through the prevalence of rape, how audiences perceive and respond to the topic, something else?
irrationalpersist

Re: New Podcast Ideas

Post by irrationalpersist »

I am up to episode # 142. There have been many, many stories shared about children who were sexually abused or molested and I appreciate that these stories must be told.

If this topic hasn't been covered yet, I would appreciate hearing from the mothers of children who were abused or molested. My ex-husband sexually abused my daughter (his step-daughter). I wish Paul would interview the mother of a child who was abused by her partner. It would be helpful to have a more nuanced perspective of the the conditions that allow a child to be molested by a marriage partner, and how a mother reacts when her child discloses the abuse. The events in our family happened in 1986 and 1988 and they still haunt us to this day. My sons are finally talking to me about it. My daughter is not talking to me right now. Family recovery from this kind of behaviour is very difficult. I would like to hear from the mother/wife in this family situation.

If the topic has been covered, I look forward to catching up and getting current with the podcasts.

Thanks,

IP
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

irrationalpersist there are 37 more podcasts until you are caught up. If your not begging for a new topic to be covered besides sexual assault I feel really worried for you.
irrationalpersist

Post by irrationalpersist »

I see your point. However, our human sexuality is such a driving force in spreading misery at every level of society, I think it should be part of our mental health discussions.

I agree, I do find the graphic sexual content off-putting (similar to recounting 'war stories' in recovery support groups), but I wade through it for the benefit of the good information and sharing that also takes place. There is no simple formula for digging into the complexity of our mental health. There is no infallible super being that is going to facilitate these discussions.

The fact is that there is a dearth of any productive conversation about mental health and mental illness available to many of us, even though the statistics of those who have, are, or will suffer some form of mental ill-health are staggering. I have lived with the effects of being married to an abuser who molested my daughter. I have never found a place to discuss what this was like outside my therapists office. For every abused child, there is a mother/wife who was affected by the abuser, and her relationship with her child was also affected. Not to mention the siblings of the abused child, and the sibling brood that mother is looking after for her whole life.

I would welcome a fulsome discussion about how mothers react to their child's disclosure, and the aftermath of that event.

It is not nearly as cut and dried as Paul suggests (at least to date). I do hope for a more nuanced discussion about this experience as it has had such a formative affect on my life, the life of my daughter, and the lives of my sons.

IP
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

Okay I see your point. How about just just adding a note in the description (45:09-55:03 we discussed X guest being assaulted, so listeners can skip that bit? Does that sound like a solution?

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”