Episode 134

Post discussions as new topics.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Re: Episode 134

Post by ghughes1980 »

Another doc related to the topic: Becoming Chaz it's on Netflix now, it shows the actual transition process.
quickfall

Post by quickfall »

dalrida wrote:No disrepect to Paul or Pidgeon, but it honestly really bothers me when genderqueer people speak for the trans* community; specifically genderqueer individuals with no HRT or surgery. I'm not against genderqueer as an identity, but from my personal experience I've met a lot of genderqueer individuals who read a lot of books in their college degree and think they know what it's like to take hormones or have surgery, transition from one gender to another. Like I said, I didn't hate this episode, but if you're going to explore/explain "trans" to people, it would be nice to have a guest on who has undergone a medical transition.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has transitioning from one gender to another (with HRT/surgery).
I agree 100%. There is a huge difference between what was described on the episode and the lived experiences of people who have transitioned. To be clear, I'm not denying the validity Pigeon's reality; what I took away from the episode was simply a reinforcement of a lot of contemporary social and other heuristics that get under my skin and make me wish it was 20 years from now when (hopefully) people are thinking more critically.

In any event, that's why I emailed Paul and he posted my guest blog. I'm not whoring myself per se, but it's part of my take on things. One of the main points I wanted to drive home is that none of the rules of thumb people use to think about and/or describe trans* people (particularly as often described by genderqueer individuals) apply to me. It's not as dramatic and sensationalized as everyone makes it. But I think people need that sensationalization to feel better about themselves.

ghughes1980 wrote:Another doc related to the topic: Becoming Chaz it's on Netflix now, it shows the actual transition process.
I remember seeing that when it premiered on Oprah's network (?). It was alright and he talked about things better than most people do, but I remember wishing he would've acknowledged the privileged position he was in. He clearly has never needed to want for anything and so transitioning for him wasn't something he had to save up for or anything like that, whereas most people are lucky if they can ever afford it. However, I could very well be remembering that in a skewed fashion because when I watched it I hadn't had surgery yet and was pretty jealous-pissed at people who did.
ghughes1980

Post by ghughes1980 »

As a Canadian and specifically an Albertan I can't really be bothered by that wealth issue. Certain parts of the process would be covered by healthcare, so I can't fault him at all for going for the chest procedure. This situation with healthcare in the United States is the fault of the electorate not Chaz himself. If you want a better healthcare system then stop voting for people who don't care about the people who are voting for them. As I recall he borrowed the money from a few members of a support group I don't think his station in society had any bearing on the procedure being paid for at all. Now the media covered it after it was done but they didn't get the point either if you listen to the ignorant and totally stupid questions Chaz was being asked by "reporters" on the street during the filming. As to his celebrity that didn't matter either because frankly his mother didn't have a clue in her head about what was going on during the transition process. Cher might have an idea now but not then as evident by her interviews for the doc.
ghughes1980

Post by ghughes1980 »

ghughes1980

Post by ghughes1980 »

Here we go another interview with Shadi Petosky discussing gender and other things: http://www.feralaudio.com/show/this-fee ... n-mcgathy/

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”