Borderline Personality Disorder

Post discussions as new topics.
Sirfunkytown

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder

Post by Sirfunkytown »

Bella, I'm sure you can tell that I didn't call anyone a "controlling asshole". I was clearly , if perhaps a little too economically , stating that the person being interviewed wasn't making a clear enough distinction. "Crazy Girlfriend " syndrome and abusive boyfriends were talked about as likely suffering from BPD. There was a lot of talk about boundaries ,precautions and treating them like 5year olds; but not a lot of the judgement free discourse we are used to.
I totally get why Paul took this episode down. The tone of the discussion was "off".
I'll admit to perhaps being a little harsh for effect , but I stand by the point I was making.
I'm sorry it pushed your buttons.
in_media_res

Post by in_media_res »

"I'm sorry it pushed your buttons."

But not, apparently, that you said it in the first place.
May you find rest in a peaceful heart.
Sirfunkytown

Post by Sirfunkytown »

"I'll admit to perhaps being a little harsh for effect , but I stand by the point I was making."

Apparently.
in_media_res

Post by in_media_res »

Sirfunkytown:

I think the point you were trying to make is pretty clear.
May you find rest in a peaceful heart.
Herself

Post by Herself »

Bella, my point was simply that you seemed to be angry at Paul for comments that someone else made. And Sirfunkytown explained his comment. I really was just trying to understand where you were coming from.
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

Regardless of the situation I have to admit I'm disappointed in the blatant disrespect shown in this thread. It boils down to that this is just a podcast. A man is giving away his time, right now just running on donations and the kindness of listeners and friends for interviews. Even if you disagree with things he's said or any podcasts he's done, disagreement can be offered in a way that still gives Paul the respect he (and everyone) deserves as a human being.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I'm so glad to come back to this thread and find out I'm not the only one who had problems with the episode. I was worried it was my catty, aggressive, defensive BPD self that was so off-put by the guest. I agree she did have several good things to say, but some of the other information she presented was either off-base or difficult to interpret.

Thank you Paul, for doing the interview in the first place and covering this important topic, for taking the feedback you received with grace. I hope in the future you'll interview a different professional in the field, a person with BPD, etc.

A website I've found very helpful to me personally is
http://www.my-borderline-personality-disorder.com
and she's got many other websites, books, etc linked on her resource page. She's got a very supportive Twitter feed as well.
~"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." ~Khalil Gibran
AnArtist

Post by AnArtist »

I don't want to feed the trolls, but in Paul's defense it was my post that mentioned the "treating patients like five year olds." However, those were not my words -- they were Dr. Peterson's. I did not want to imply that she is a bad person or not compassionate -- just that there might have been a better interviewee out there to tackle this complex topic. It would be fantastic, for example, if you could get Dr. Marsha Linehan (the creator of DBT and a BPD sufferer herself) to come onto the show.

I also appreciated Dr. Peterson's mention of some of the positive sides of BPD sufferers (we have some of the biggest hearts, honestly -- and we are often exquisitely aware of other people's moods and feelings). In addition to the blog in the previous post (the author of whom was mentioned by Dr. Peterson in the podcast), I also like this one:
http://www.downwardspiralintothevortex.com/

This is also a very good primer on BPD:
http://www.newharbinger.com/PsychSolve/ ... fault.aspx

And this is one of the best introductions to schema therapy that I've found online:
http://www.davidbricker.com/clientsguid ... herapy.pdf

Thanks again for giving some time to this disorder, Paul!
StruggleBus_Driver

Post by StruggleBus_Driver »

I was wondering what happened to the episode! Anyway, I just finished listening to the episode and I had a couple of remarks. As a therapist, my ears perked up when she called herself a "life coach." If anyone can link me more information on Dr. Peterson, I would be grateful. I was wondering what she received her doctorate degree. Clinical Psychology? Counseling Psychology? Social Work? Is she licensed? Where did she receive her degree? What was her dissertation/thesis?
In terms of some of the disparaging remarks she made about people affected with BPD, it sounds like a lot of the clinicians when we consult with people with BPD. It's more of a raw, untactful approach towards talking about our clients. BPD is such an immensely challenging and complex mental disorder. Sometimes, a person gets too comfortable and doesn't do an adequate job of explaining what he or she truly means. That can leave a lot open to interpretation (which usually isn't a good thing). She seems very knowledgable and learned some things from her. However, I would have to agree that she could have done a better job of being more specific.
As for taking down the podcast, I am unsure about the thought process toward taking it down. While controversial, I am sure some benefit could be made from further discussion. It is great that you are trying to protect the community from some unclear and maybe judgmental remarks. There may have been other solutions that could have been explored before removing the podcast.
Bella

Post by Bella »

Uhh--feed the trolls?
AnArtist, I can agree with the majority of what you said, and I apologize for confusing you with someone else...then again I'm new here.

You are clearly capable of writing fair-minded and eloquent posts, but a remark like that seems unworthy of someone with your command of the English language.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”