Episode 143: Erica Rhodes

Post discussions as new topics.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Episode 143: Erica Rhodes

Post by gfyourself »

The actress (Prairie Home Companion, Big Sky) was raised by artistic and intelligent but emotionally reserved parents (her father has MS, her mother is a concert violinist); Erica was emotionally volatile as a child. Recently diagnosed with Bipolar II, she discusses the suicide attempts, paralyzing depression, mania and people pleasing as well as learning to manage her illness.
spoink

Re: Episode 143: Erica Rhodes

Post by spoink »

Did anyone catch the letter from "Drew"'s husband before the interview? About how one of his wife's multiple personalities answered a survey and Paul read it? Did anyone remember "Drew"'s survey response?

I had to pull my car over, rewind the podcast and listen again, just to, you know, be all "woooow" and stuff.
Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout »

Drew's survey was the last one read at the end of the Scott Thompson episode and it was pretty intense. As said husband who wrote to Paul afterwards it took me quite a bit by surprise. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but then when the details of the survey were coming out I knew. I was out walking and I had to stop, listen and rewind and listen again. Before I wrote Paul and let him read it I asked my wife's permission since it's not really my struggles to post publicly. But that survey was a pretty big moment for her (them). Watching her deal with this has been interesting.
ginadentata

Post by ginadentata »

Paul, I love your show and have listened to many, many episodes... but I found myself turning this one off due to all of the interjecting and personalizing you were doing during throughout the "interview" I often felt that when you were asking her questions, you phrased it with the answer already in the question vs. "how did that make you feel" which came across as you personalizing her issues with your feelings or experiences. She seemed frustrated to me, not being able to just talk without talking about your "similar issues" all along the way..
I'm sorry if this comes off as super critical... it's just the one thing that I find frustrating about this podcast at times. Other than that.. thank you for being so brave and open and honest and providing a much needed outlet for people to talk about their struggles and subsequent triumphs.
Best wishes to you Paul and thanks again!!
Gina
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

This is my third or fourth listen to this episode. Erica's story parallels my own in many ways and she makes me feel hopeful. I am so happy this interview happened.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”