A little more about me.

I believe in the power of CBT. In my practice I see people across the lifespan with numerous issues but my interest lies in adults and teens with anxiety-based issues. I am also well versed with adoption and attachment issues. Additionally I am certified in Animal Assisted Psychotherapy.
KSwanayLMHC
Issues: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, BDD, SAD, Situational Depression
preferred pronoun: She

A little more about me.

Post by KSwanayLMHC »

I just wanted to add a little more about me. I am also all about everything autism. Not ABA therapy but living with someone with autism and spectrum related issues. And in April I'm going to get an additional certification in Obsessive Compulsive Behavior treatment, Exposure and Response Prevention.

Karen R Swanay, MS LMHC CAAP
Spottydog
Issues: Anxiety, depression, self worth, body image, family trauma
preferred pronoun: She/her/hers pronoun

Re: A little more about me.

Post by Spottydog »

Awesomeness. My little sister ("little."...she's an inch taller than me! Still think of her as my baby sister, can't believe she's 18, time flies!) is autistic. What's funny is I'm more stereotypically "autistic" than her (which I guess is being like Sheldon on BBT, though I don't agree with that stereotype at all), I'm introverted, socially awkward, a little nerdy, on the asexual spectrum, used to be picked on when I was little, don't like loud parties, flashing lights, or a lot of foods which gross me out (most fruit, cheese), and a lot of foods give me stomach aches including fried stuff, lactose, and gluten (why am I not skinny??). She's warm and cuddly despite her language delays, and although shy she's comfortable in her skin (also beautiful) and not a nerd at all, even though she's almost completely nonverbal she's cooler than me in a lot of ways such as style and music (she's a hipster), and even stranger, she LOVES ALL FOOD, and loves loud music, lasers d(Ihave chaperoned her at dry college dance parties with flashing lights and tons of people, and she's been grinning the whole time while I feel anxious), and tolerates cold/heat/discomfort far better. Sometimes I think our diagnoses were mixed up, then I remember that I have ADD and undiagnosed anxiety, and she can't talk/read/understand language that well, because to her it's probably a lot like speaking to her in a foreign language with kanji or sanskrit instead of roman phonetic charcters, and trying to get by despite not understanding much of the language at all.
Anyway, that's so cool.

Return to “Karen R. Swanay, MS LMHC CAAP”