Running on Empty: Overcoming Childhood Emotional Neglect

Suggest books, magazines, websites, website articles; anything in print including graphic novels or comic strips.
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Re: Running on Empty: Overcoming Childhood Emotional Neglect

Post by ladysquid »

Thanks for sharing that article! Definitely bookmarking to read in its entirety when I have time. I am really hesitant to adopt the PTSD label but from what I'm skimming it makes a lot of sense.

Just right from the first page:

“I know I’m hard on myself, but if I don’t constantly kick my own ass, I’ll be more of a loser than I already am.”

This is my self-talk 24/7.

My mom just sent me a new couch and I took a photo and sent a text to her to say thank you. She immediately responded with a snarky comment about my decor but then followed up with "but I'm glad you like the couch." My girlfriend pointed out that was a kind of mean thing to say but it didn't even register to me. All compliments or genuine emotional expressions are prefaced with sarcasm. I used to value the way my family interacted because I thought it meant we were funny and smart but when you can't genuinely compliment your own child it's not "joking" it's criticism and invalidation.
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Re: Running on Empty: Overcoming Childhood Emotional Neglect

Post by hobojungle »

Finished reading this morning. Already begun my list of likes/dislikes. I also want to do the work of naming my emotions & developing compassionate self-accountability.
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.

Return to “Literature/Websites”