Has anyone tried online therapy?

Suggest books, magazines, websites, website articles; anything in print including graphic novels or comic strips.
neufena
Issues: Self worth, anxiety, being a failure.
preferred pronoun: he

Has anyone tried online therapy?

Post by neufena »

Has anyone tried online therapy like talk space or better help? Are they any good or just a scam to make money?
PhryneFisher
Issues: Depression, codependency, compulsive behavior
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Has anyone tried online therapy?

Post by PhryneFisher »

I was just coming to the forum, to ask this question myself :)

Going to research Talk Space next...
neufena

Post by neufena »

Betterhelp rejected me as not suitable for online therapy (likely because of suicidal thoughts).

Talkspace seems like a scam. I wrote lots to a 'therapist' who then told me all the pricing but would not discuss how the therapy would work or if they thought I could be helped. She just kept saying "that's something you'll discuss once signed up and matched to a therapist" to which I ask was she then not a therapist but a sales person.

I suspect if I do pay the over $100 per month I'll get matched with someone at random.with no real plan of how to tackle my issues.

That said I've run out of options so might have to go with it after all.
neufena

Post by neufena »

Since they have started to advertise on the podcast I decided to take the plunge and give online therapy a try. I can't really afford it but I feel I have to try.

So far I'm on Betterhelp. The therapist I've been matched with feels she can't help me accept my worthlessness and failure. Like so many therapists she wants to brainwash me to feel not worthless or a failure. I've been there before, it's dangerous as i then stop avoiding making a fool of myself.

Also I noticed the frequency of replies has dropped since the free trial has finished.

It may help some people but so far it's just a money drain for me.
neufena

Post by neufena »

I think after another week I'm going to cancel. For me the factors are:

1) going days without a reply leading to anxiety
2) spending too long trying to convince her to help me come to terms with what I am not create a false reality
3) lack of any 'work'. No homework, tasks or anything just normal thought diaries that I could do for myself
4) cost, it's a hell of a lot for a couple of chat replies.

Now to work up the courage to tell the therapist rather than just cancel and disappear.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Much strength to you, neufena
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Mosesvampslayer
Issues: Bipolar, PTSD, Misophonia
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Mosesvampslayer »

I've been on better help for a month or so now. So far it has been great for me if only to have someone to listen to me. I'm learning how to talk, which is huge for me. I would say it's more about what your response is than what the therapist does or says. If you're not open to their opinions then there's no point. If you don't trust them find a different one. My perspective on it is you're alot more likely to find one on better help than locally. There are just way more to choose from.
I'm not really sure if my therapist has actually done a whole lot to help by what she says to me, rather it has been my own work that's the cause of growth. It might be a rip off even for me but the growth so far is dramatic so it doesn't really matter what her role in it is. After all, the goal is to improve yourself and figure out how to deal with your issues, not how often you get a worksheet. No one but you is going to fix your problems. It's scary, but what's the alternative?
Let's talk again in a few hours when I'm in the depressive cycle and I will join you in the excuse train.
Hope you all found a solution that works for ya
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

Mosesvampslayer - love your user name and post. Any relation to Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? Apologies for silly at serious thread, I couldn't resist.

Everyone who has commented is a badass for continuing to look for solutions when you are in pain.
Ihavetinnitus_mawp
Issues: Depression, Anxiety, Emotional Neglect, Emotional Abuse, Misophonia
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Ihavetinnitus_mawp »

I agree with moose. If the therapist isn't working for you, switch. My first week on BetterHelp was a waste. My assigned therapist was not right for me at all. I confronted her about it and her response and indifference confirmed my intuition. I switched therapists and am enjoying my current pick. You owe it to yourself to keep trying, but you have to want to improve... They can't do it for you. That said if you don't have a good rapport and trust, they probably won't be able to help you move forward.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

You owe it to yourself to keep trying, but you have to want to improve.
I would note, there's no requirement to believe improvement is possible. Just want it and be willing to try.

Return to “Literature/Websites”