Coming Off Medications

ZinnGandhi

Coming Off Medications

Post by ZinnGandhi »

I thought it would be good for those of us weaning off medications to have a place on the forum for comfort. I've been off medication primarily for OCD for over seven years, but a loved one is having a pretty rough time getting off a number of meds. I hope all of you having trouble with meds get relief soon.

Take care
SwitchbladeSister

Re: Coming Off Medications

Post by SwitchbladeSister »

I'm currently coming off a lot of medications.

I used to be on 300 mg of Trazodone, 20 mg of Abilify, 2 mg of Klonopin and 40 mg of Celexa.

I am now on 200 mg of Trazodone, 5 mg of Abilify, .5 mg of Klonopin and now on 50 mg of Luvox.

The goal is to be off of all meds except for Luvox, and I am being supervised by a psychiatrist, however, right now I am a wreck.

I can't stop crying. It's the most bizarre thing, I will cry at anything and it is impossible to console me. I keep thinking about sad things and sad songs keep getting stuck in my head, as though there were a record player in my head that won't turn off. I've been like this for days, and I am really scared that it will be like this forever. I don't want to be an emotional wreck like this. I'm really afraid I will cry at work or something, and I feel as though my crying spells are scaring the people I love away or annoying them.
carmenisradical
Issues: Anxiety, depression, generally awkwardness
preferred pronoun: She

Post by carmenisradical »

I'm not entirely sure who's going to even see this post but after doing some research, I wanted to reach out to fellow mentalpod followers for their advice.

I've decided to titrate off of Lexapro after being on it for about a year and a half. So far, my side effects have been weird sleep patterns with crazy dreams, lethargy, increased anxiety, and occasionally completely spacing out.

Any one have any experience with coming off of meds? I guess I'm just seeing how long the road is and after just doing one step down, from 20mg to 15mg, and seeing that I'm going to have to deal with this cycle a few more times, I'm feeling very overwhelmed.

Thanks for any guidance - I genuinely appreciate it.
void87
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by void87 »

I'm slowly coming off medication after being on them for many years. Luckily I'm in a safe and secure place and not currently working so if I feel unwell I can recognise it easier and find a place to relax.

I know some of these medications have different names but since 2013 I have been on - Citalopram, Mirtazapine, Escitalopram, Sertaline and then back on Escitalopram. I have decided to taper off/wean off my 20mg of Escitalopram. I kept to the prescribed daily dose and then about 6/7 weeks I go I started to cut my tablets in half and low my dose to 10mg a day. For two weeks now I have had one day on followed by one day off. I write in my diary which days I am supposed to be on and which I supposed to be off - this helps a lot as I often forget without checking. I am also recovering from a severe head and brain injury that I had at the end of December 2017 and also have anti-epileptic medication (Keppra) for that and I used to be on Co-codamol for the regular headthrobs/migraines I was getting.

Has anyone else weaned themselves off anti-depressants? What was your experience like?

I have been tired of SSRIs for a long time now and I am not sure how much good they have had. I was still able to attempt suicide, have suicidal tendencies and ideation, self-harm, been to unwell to work etc but I would now like to focus on making and continuing better life choices and generally learning to respect and look after myself. I am focusing my recovery on a few other areas that don't involve anti-deppresant medication.

As for side-effects (again not entirely sure how much is the effect of the brain & skull injury or the side-effects of my anti-epileptic medication) I have experienced - disturbing dreams, fatigue, dizziness, low moods and occasional suicidal ideation. But I am going to ride it out for another week and then come off them completely.

Also, this isn't a post diminishing the positive effect anti-depressants can have for some. Sadly they haven't worked for me and I want to move on.
brownblob
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

It is usually better to talk to your Dr to get advice. Some meds you can stop cold turkey and others you have to wean off. It sounds like you've been weaning off in an intelligent manner. I took Lexapro (escitalopram) a couple of years ago for 5 months or so and I don't think I had to wean off of it.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
void87
preferred pronoun: he

Post by void87 »

So It's been nearly 3 weeks, coming up to 4 since I've been off anti-depressants entirely.

At first I thought things were going well but today has really got me to a low.

I was getting the familiar electric-type shocks/jolts which have luckily happened less recently. My GP told me they can last from 4-6 weeks as my body and brain gets used to things. I noticed there was a joy back in me which I haven't felt in ages. I was enthused and happy about many things - time with my family, the music I was making, the progress I was making down to smaller things like appreciating nature, cooking and listening to music which I had forgotten. My mum asked if I was ok because she hadn't seen me like this in some time - I was making silly jokes and feeling energetic.

I am now back at work (on reduced hours) which has been great to be back at a place where I'm appreciated, listened to and understood as well as having help (and continued help) since my injury and issues with my mental, physical and neurological help.

A few things set me off today. I was anxious and annoyed during my morning mindfulness exercise. The noises around me and hearing my name being said by my housemates led me down a road of self-doubt, worry, shame and annoyance too. Work has fine and actually quite enjoyable at times, despite the headthrobs and dizziness but I made the effort to tell my line-manager and work colleagues who were understanding and supportive. I was meant to meet a friend, I made a long journey during rush hour only to see that he couldn't make it and then I had to come back on busy transport. I am tired, I drank too much at the weekend (although didn't drink yesterday and will not be drinking today), some communication with my ex and went on Tinder Saturday and Sunday which resulted in me feeling worse. I think there are a few things I can certainly and clearly sort out - get rested, go easy on the drink this week and refrain from Tinder. I am writing a lot of this down in my diary and have therapy tomorrow so will bring that up then too.

I realise this should've been in another category on the forum but I can see how these things fit too.

I guess I should expect there to be hard times when I come off my meds and life circumstances will affect those too. But I am also quite relieved to know that I have an idea of why I feel so low and sad. However, the feelings of guilt, shame, self-loathing and despair have come back today and I haven't felt them in a long time. I just hope it gets better. I don't feel like talking to anyone and just wana hang out with cats and sleep.
Axial
Issues: Social phobia, eating disordered, depression, anxiety, alcoholism

Post by Axial »

Coming off Effexor and into my second week. Have noticed my nervous energy and thankfully the nausea seems to be reducing. Meds can be very helpful, however, for me at this time I am feeling strong enough to try to come off. Since I have done this before, I know it can be done. This doesn’t mean I am not hesitant about this choice. Mainly it’s the physical effects at this stage that are most uncomfortable. Wish me luck. I am gonna give it a good go.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression

Post by Mental Fairy »

Good luck, coming off any medication makes you wonder what lays beneath when you are coming off a chemical based medication. All the best.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Axial,

Just an FYI - I tried Effexor for a while a number of years ago, and it was quite unpleasant for me.
(I'd been on Prozac for a long time, and its effect had seemed to have worn off).
But the Effexor caused my mind to really race, and I had some suicidal ideation which hadn't presented before. (Not totally foreign to me, but long-term low-grade depression and on-and-off anxiety have been my main troubles).

The "brain zaps" that I'd read about were totally new and unexpected when they happened, and were a little alarming.

From the little bit of digging I did, it appeared that Effexor (being dual action) affected users more strongly and in more varied ways than Prozac did.

So I encourage you to stay in touch with your prescriber during this time of weaning.
And remember that it's a chemical & biological process of change that's happening, and that any thoughts or sensations aren't "you", but should be noted and examined at "arm's length" so to speak.

Wishing you the best!

SD

Return to “Meds/Supplements”