Protryptiline?

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
in_media_res

Protryptiline?

Post by in_media_res »

Just had another round of discussions with my psychiatrist re: meds and he came up with protryptiline. It's a tricyclic. Any experience?

I've more or less rejected everything else. ~15 years of SSRI's have largely failed, which my physician acknowledges. I have no confidence in them, and no interest in trying again. I've rejected a suggestion for Abilify based on probable side-effects. A cursory review of this one suggests a few likely difficulties.

I originally abandoned meds 1.5 years ago after experiencing lots of side effects and few benefits. I've been doing reasonably well for most of that time, having focused on therapy. It's my belief that my depression and unhappiness is mostly in how I interact with people, and in how I view myself. I quit drinking - almost two years, and have lost 90 pounds. And I've made some progress in dealing with how I approach the world. There have been issues I struggle with, and one month ago my therapist abruptly ended the relationship, essentially in the middle of a session. I've posted about this elsewhere on the forum, so won't dig through it again. The event was traumatic, and has kicked off a severe depression that doesn't show much sign of relenting.

Really not sure where to go here. I wish I had more confidence in the meds - as they seem to work for some people. I'm probably inclined to just keep trying to work through it with the tools I have. But I'm curious what others might have experienced.
May you find rest in a peaceful heart.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Protryptiline?

Post by manuel_moe_g »

in_media_res wrote:I originally abandoned meds 1.5 years ago after experiencing lots of side effects and few benefits. I've been doing reasonably well for most of that time, having focused on therapy. It's my belief that my depression and unhappiness is mostly in how I interact with people, and in how I view myself. I quit drinking - almost two years, and have lost 90 pounds. And I've made some progress in dealing with how I approach the world. There have been issues I struggle with, and one month ago my therapist abruptly ended the relationship, essentially in the middle of a session. I've posted about this elsewhere on the forum, so won't dig through it again. The event was traumatic, and has kicked off a severe depression that doesn't show much sign of relenting.
I am sorry to hear this. You deserve better. Please take care - I wish I was smart enough to help.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Medications”