The cocktail that works for me

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
Jenny Jump

The cocktail that works for me

Post by Jenny Jump »

I take meds and resent taking them. But they're working, so why complain? Because I'd like to just have a normal brain chemistry that doesn't require medication. The stigma of being on meds bothers me a little too. I have fantasies about not taking them, but I know the consequences, so I take them every day. I consider my illness like mental diabetes. I would never tell someone with diabetes to stop taking insulin. People with diabetes have to switch doses of their meds all the time. No sense in beating myself up about my medication journey, which includes many different cocktails.

So I take 2.5 mg of abilify, 20 mg. prozac, and 25 mg of trazadone. All small amounts. When my medical practitioners started me on it the dosage of abilify was too much and I lost my appetite. I have fears that this small amount of meds will stop working for me and I'll be put on a higher dose, or worse yet--something different that might have unwanted side effects.
"I know what I am, I know what you think I am, but I refuse to be that simple." -Nomy Lamm
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: The cocktail that works for me

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Jenny Jump! :D
Jenny Jump wrote:I have fears that this small amount of meds will stop working for me and I'll be put on a higher dose, or worse yet--something different that might have unwanted side effects.
This is common. If you combine meds with cognitive therapy, you will have an "ace up your sleeve" if your meds are not quite at 100%.

Cheers, all the best! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Medications”