Cymbalta

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
Aerin McG

Cymbalta

Post by Aerin McG »

Ok, so prior to Cymbalta, my doctor put me on Zoloft. That made me totally numb and I stopped eating. Then he put me on Wellbutrin XL. That didn't work for the depression, but it did aid in smoking cessation. Then I was on a combination of Zoloft and Wellbutrin XL, and that left me very numb with no sex drive. I was still depressed, but I was able to function. Also, it quieted the suicidal thoughts for a while. After a year though, my depression got worse and I gained 45 pounds.

My doctor discontinued those meds and put me on Lexapro. After three days on that, I began having the worst panic attacks. I almost ended up in the hospital. It was ghastly. I was taken off of that and given Cymbalta. Ah, Cymbalta.

That was great, for about 6 months. I wasn't happy (I've honestly never been happy), but I wasn't numb or unhappy. I had ENERGY! I was able to go to work and school, and be "normal". I was inspired to be creative again! Then after 6 months, poof! Gone was the energy, bye-bye empathy and relative almost happiness. It just went away! Not only was I depressed again, I was worse than before. And I was still on the meds. I complained to my psychiatrist that the meds weren't working anymore, but he kept me on them. After a year and a half longer, I told him that I refused to take them, because 1) They weren't working and 2) without insurance, they cost almost $200 a bottle.

Furthermore, the side effects are awful. If I forgot to take them for one day, I'd faint, shake, feel nauseous, and lose my vision (for a split second, but that split second almost caused me to fall down an escalator at the airport, and stairs on numerous occasions).

Currently, I'm not on meds, because I can't afford them (I'm unemployed). I really don't know what to do with myself at this point. I really don't. Changing my diet to raw vegan actually made a monumental difference in my energy levels, but it is expensive to keep that up, so I can't do it right now. I dunno.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Cymbalta

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Aerin McG wrote:That was great, for about 6 months. I wasn't happy (I've honestly never been happy), but I wasn't numb or unhappy. I had ENERGY! I was able to go to work and school, and be "normal". I was inspired to be creative again! Then after 6 months, poof! Gone was the energy, bye-bye empathy and relative almost happiness. It just went away! Not only was I depressed again, I was worse than before. And I was still on the meds.
One thing that is so infuriating about doctor's prescribing psychoactive drugs is that they rarely tell patients that is it common for the benefit of the drug to completely go away with time. If you would have been made aware, you could have made an informed choice not to take Cymbalta, because in the end it left you in a much more precarious situation that you even began in. I am sorry that this happened to you - you most definitely deserved better.

I would recommend cognitive therapy - it is a good substitute for meds, it is a good supplement to meds, it contributes to a long lifetime of good results. Relying solely on meds rarely ends up well.
Aerin McG wrote:Changing my diet to raw vegan actually made a monumental difference in my energy levels, but it is expensive to keep that up, so I can't do it right now.
In the United States, meats and processed food are subsidized with tax payer money, and raw vegan foods are not, so there is actual high level policy to make Americans eat an unhealthful diet. But within a given budget, healthful choices can be made. Preparing your own food is always a good trade-off of time vs. cost and health.

Please take care, all the best, hope my little contribution can help you, please say if it was inadequate.

From this MentalPod board - some places to get help for people with limited resources:
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Aerin McG

Post by Aerin McG »

Thanks so much for your reply. I agree, I would not have taken Cymbalta if I knew the risks. It left me worse than before and with a severe distrust of doctors. I'm trying to get back on the raw diet with the limited money I have. I live in an area where it's very heavy on booze and fried food, and light on vegetables.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Is there a local art district? Also, chiropractors are well connected with holistic resources. Vietnamese is also good, lots of fresh herbs.

All the best, we are all cheering for your greatest today and tomorrow! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
BCZF

Post by BCZF »

Think is, drugs like Zoloft, Paxil or Cymbalta have very quick "half lives".. Meaning, the drug effectiveness goes away quickly when you stop using them. I was on Prozac for years, and if I would for whatever reason miss a dose for a day or two (usually because I couldnt afford the copay at the time - before generics) I would get awful flu like symptoms, shakes, dizziness..etc..

I am on Lexapro, while it isint ideal (not very effective for me) it has a long half life, so if I miss a dose I wont be crippled by withdrawl sickness.. The thing is, many people dont want to wait 6 weeks for symptom improvement, that is where the Cymbalta, etc come in, those who get relife from it get it fairly rapidly, but like I said it is not pleasant to miss it.
BCZF

Post by BCZF »

Also,

If you are experiencing side effects like that, never be afraid to tell your prescriber, with anti depressants/anti anxieties, it is very much a hit and miss proposition, but also be aware that you will feel "different" no matter which one you're on, for a brief period of time.
Aerin McG

Post by Aerin McG »

I'm in the process of finding another psychiatrist. When I do find one that is right for me, I'm definitely voicing my concerns about Cymbalta. I don't want a quick fix for a problem I've had for 20+ years.
BCZF

Post by BCZF »

Good..

Like I said it is a matter of finding a balance, and I totally agree with you that the Cymbalta side effects (albeit with probably a limited sample size) are really, very harsh, talk to your prescriber about your worries, JUST DON'T BE AFRAID TO EXPRESS YOUR CONCERNS, and if your Doc gives you crap, find another one.. It is YOUR health, YOUR concerns, DO NOT be afraid to kick a bozo to the curb.
BCZF

Post by BCZF »

I guess what I was getting at dont let ANYONE push something on you that makes you feel bad (remember many maoi's will do that the first few weeks) if you feel worse, call him/her up and have it stopped. Remember Psych docs are just like MD's sometimes they get financial incentives for pushing particular "name brand" drugs which may or may not be beneficial to you. And they often will give you a bag of 'free samples" that will often cost a great deal more if your choose to continue using them as opposed to equally effective alternatives and generics..

ok.. Im outa breath...
inmymind
Issues: Depression, anxiety, intimate relationships.
preferred pronoun: He

Post by inmymind »

I've taken 30mg, once a day for arond 8 months, then wenned myself off by taking one every other day, and maybe every third day after that. I was OK for around 8 months, then work, and some difficult times in my marriage and personal relationships caused me to give in and finally go back on it after trying hard not to take any for about two months (I had it in the medicine cabinet, but I was trying to be "strong"). I had been going to therapy over all these times, as I still do (when things were though, I'd go once every two weeks, and when more calm once a month as I do now). I've been married for 21 years, but never in love with her (long story), and that has caused me to pay a heavy price (and I know for her too). Anyway, I don't want to go into that right now, but I will straighten all that out in due time soon.

So, after going back on Cymbalta, it was an immediate great help to me. Same dose, 30mg once in the morning. I did have one little episode where I almost fainted in the evening, but that is it. I do have a lowered libido, but for me, that might be a good thing. I still desire sex or masterbating once a day (before it could be twice a day or more), and I figure for a guy 49 years hold that's pretty high libido.

I've been on it now for about 3 or more months. I can still get a little down, but not for very long. It is usually in the evenings when I am tired, and even when I was not taking it, I always knew I would be less depressed after a good night's sleep. Knowing that, makes it easier to cope with the down moments. Before the Cymbalta, I had a hard time concentrating on work. I would have obbsessive thoughts about my lover, or just a mind that travels a lot thoughts. Now, I am able to focus much better.

I asked my therapist, so am I going to have to be taking this shit forever. She said "Well, no, probably not. Only until you get your life straightened out." I really enjoy my therapy sessions, and I have told her this, and I've told her she has been a wonderful place for me to validate my feelings and thoughts and get honest feed back. I mean, where else can you get that type of non-biased information and feedback. I do a lot of reading of self-help books. I love Tao de Ching, Wayne dyer, Ekhart Tolle, and all those types of books, but also have read Victor Frankl, and some psychology books such as Fear of Intimacy. I listen to Love Line and these Mental Pod Podcast, to Arman Demill, but also other stuff that is non-mental. I feel like all of these information-feeds are my life-line to sanity also coorespond with other people, in anonymous social networks not in a sexual nature, but just sharing these same things I'm sharing here. Again, it has all been a great outlet for me.

So, besides my regular job, I am working on a side company, and I have some investment property I manage myself. I am a busy guy, but I love having places like this to share my feelings and I enjoy reading other peoples stories too. For anyone who has gotten this far, thanks for readying my post. Love to all

Return to “Medications”