What a Relief

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
inmymind
Issues: Depression, anxiety, intimate relationships.
preferred pronoun: He

What a Relief

Post by inmymind »

I've been on and off medications a few times in my life. I have always resisted going back on them because you hear so many negative things about them, but I will say that when I finally gave in and went back on them I remember having a feeling and thought of "Oh, thank God. I'm so tired of fighting it. It feels good to be getting some help. What a relief." I also remember feeling like I was loving myself by letting myself go on the medications. I've had mostly good results from them. They got me out of the deepest despair, and on the road to good mental health.

Depression can sneak up on you. I always tell people that we aren't always the best judge of when we are depressed. If you are working and keeping busy, you can be distracted from it sometimes. For example, its good to not be attached to material things, or even the person you love, but you can confuse letting go (detachment) as a good thing, when really it is depression that is causing you to just not give a fuck.

So, if you are considering medications, do it with a psychiatrist, not a General Practitioner, and make sure you are in therapy too. Be vigilant, and do your own research on medications, but don't stress out if you read about people being critical of medications. If you need them, you need them. You've probably taken enough dangerous drugs in your life with little knowledge about what is inside. At least these medications have been studied.

Good health to you.
IMM
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: What a Relief

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Great advice and insight, inmymind!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Medications”