Misophonia

lutherangirl
Issues: OCD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression

Re: Misophonia

Post by lutherangirl »

Thank you for the welcome, Snoring Dog.

My husband also has ringing in his ears and describes it a little different that what I'm experiencing.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts after you watch that PBS episode.

Yes, I'm Christian and sorry to hear that you where hurt by people claiming to be what they weren't.
Enjoy the day you have. The next might not be so good. This is how it is with a mental illness.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi

He is putting up with it as nothing they can do. He will maybe come off medication for heart next year and see. Got to get his bloods right first.

We got told about a product called Cortexi? But can’t get in NZ. Is is in USA.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Mental Fairy,

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a medicinal cure at the moment for tinnitus, but there are a lot of scams so don't be taken in by some of the ads you see popping up.

If there was a sure-fire cure, it would definitely be on all the mainstream outlets. Tinnitus affects so many people in this noisy world of ours.

I know my tinnitus gets worse if I take a lot of aspirin, or if I drink red wine. Haven't found anything to ingest to *lessen* it though....

Lutherangirl's trouble seems like something different than misophonia or tinnitus...
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Lutherangirl,

I just watched the episode, and it was quite interesting. I've heard about deep brain stimulation for Parkinsons, but here it was for a highly resistant presentation of OCD.

His struggles seemed to be with a fear of not breathing or not being able to breathe (the obsessive part?) and a ritualized and exaggerated form of breathing in response (the compulsion?). This seems to have basically consumed his waking hours.

Interesting to see when they started the stimulation (he felt like laughing), and later when he was in the park, he seemed much more relaxed. (Early scenes seem to show a sluggish affect)

Your trouble is a little different though, in hearing these sounds in your head, right?
Is this a new presentation of your OCD in addition to other things? Is it constant?

It doesn't really seem like tinnitus (eeeeeeee!) or misophonia. Some kind of auditory hallucination maybe?

I'd be interested to know more, if you're willing to post.

Wishing you well.

SD
lutherangirl

Post by lutherangirl »

Mental Fairy wrote: September 28th, 2023, 4:44 pm Hi

He is putting up with it as nothing they can do. He will maybe come off medication for heart next year and see. Got to get his bloods right first.

We got told about a product called Cortexi? But can’t get in NZ. Is is in USA.
Hello,

I sure hope your husband finds an answer soon. There are so many products out there but nothing seemed to work for my husband. :(
Enjoy the day you have. The next might not be so good. This is how it is with a mental illness.
lutherangirl

Post by lutherangirl »

Hello SD,

I'm thinking since we haven't heard anymore about Deep Brain Stimulation or this man in the series, because it wasn't too successful for OCD. It seems like most of the treatments like TMS only guarantee a 60% rate of success.

I've been on medication that treats auditory hallucinations, and they made it worse. I've always had OCD and anxiety but never the weird noises.

Michelle
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Hello LG,

I've started on the first episode now, thanks for the heads-up.
Maybe the institution where he had the procedure done has information?

https://www.mountsinai.org/care/psychiatry/services/ocd-tics/dbs
https://profiles.mountsinai.org/martijn-figee

Searching for "Deep Brain Stimulation for OCD" brings up a few hits, (here's one from the NIH) and also some Youtube postings.....

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34631467/

"Deep brain stimulation for obsessive-compulsive disorder: A systematic review of worldwide experience after 20 years"

"Conclusion: The present review confirms that DBS is a promising therapy for patients with severe resistant OCD, providing both ST and LT evidence of efficacy."

=================

Also may be of interest - Have you read anything written by Oliver Sacks?

He's known for the book/film "Awakenings", and has written "Musicophilia" and "Hallucinations".

https://www.oliversacks.com/oliver-sacks-books/musicophilia-oliver-sacks/

https://www.oliversacks.com/oliver-sacks-books/hallucinations/

If nothing else, fascinating reading.

SD
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Just happened upon this article on Misophonia, so posting it here...

https://www.womensweekly.com.au/health/wellness/what-is-misophonia/

:happy-sunny:
lutherangirl

Post by lutherangirl »

SD,

Thank you for all the information you provided regarding the DBS videos, book references, etc. I did look up the doctor and hospital that performs this treatment. Again, the results are only 60% that it will be effective. :(

LG
Hope for the future
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Hello LG,

Nice to hear from you.
Yes, biology and medicine are so inexact, are we are so complicated...

Not misophonia or tinnitus, but the last couple of days I've been having ear "fluttering" on one side. It seems to be some kind of muscle spasm near the ear drum, and it's like a Morse code stream of thumping. Pretty annoying, and it came out of nowhere.

I think it's a stress related for me. Work and the world... :?

Return to “Misophonia”