Experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms

Discussions on addictions and their relationship to depression. Post as new topic.
Davidjohn25
Issues: Addiction
preferred pronoun: he

Experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms

Post by Davidjohn25 »

I have been drinking every other day and sometimes 4 to 5 days in a row. Everything that elevates my anxiety levels makes me wanna have more. I have drank so much and used a hell of a lot of cocaine, codeine and weed. I just feel terrible and guilty of myself. I have binged since I was 14 but I never know if I'm bad enough for a rehab and take the addiction treatment from any centre nearby. I have been experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms too. Just want to hear from any experienced ones. Thank you.
Portia 5658
Issues: Bipolar 2, depression
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms

Post by Portia 5658 »

Hi Davidjohn25,

I've only just joined the forum today but just came across your post. I am a recovering alcoholic, just recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2. Like you I've gone through severe anxiety and also bad depression most of my life. It seems like your self medication, which I totally understand, is beginning to make everything worse. When I drank, to take away the pain of depression and anxiety it did right there and then, but the price I had to pay was a huge escalation of both. It left me not wanting to live and terrified of everything. It was a horrible spiralling down.

All I can suggest at the moment is that you firstly get help to detox properly with medication if needs be. Help is there, it's very difficult to this by yourself.

If I can be of any help at all please let me know.

I wish you all the best. :)
oak

Re: Experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms

Post by oak »

Hey! Thanks for posting.

I am not a doctor, but I hear the only drug whose withdrawal can kill you is alcohol. Whether that is true or not, alcohol withdrawal is a serious matter.

I encourage you to call the non-emergency crisis line in your area. If you can, go see a doctor.

Just keep asking for help until someone cares. It might be the first person, or the fifteenth. But someone out there will help you.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Are you addicted?”