in recovery, but not in a program

Discussions on addictions and their relationship to depression. Post as new topic.
angerKa

in recovery, but not in a program

Post by angerKa »

I wonder if there is more people like me, who's having problems with NA/AA? I consider myself in recovery, but I don't like going to meetings and I have a hard time with NA/AA people who's constantly using slogans. I tried NA in 2 different countries.
I've seeing people coming to meetings to score drugs, or going to use right after they get their stamp. I see a lot of fakeness and hypocrisy in a community. I know that this is my choice what to see and what to pay attention, and many good people are still there if I want to focus on something positive. But...I can't force myself go to those meetings.
vanbipolar
Issues: Depression, PTSD, Bipolar, ADD
preferred pronoun: she

Re: in recovery, but not in a program

Post by vanbipolar »

Hi there,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I don't go to AA/NA (never been) but I know a lot of people who have. I think for some people, it's just not "their" thing. There might be other types of groups you could attend - depression, etc. Can you Google some in your area?

I wanted to go to NA and I almost got the guts to do it one night but I live in a small community and it's hard to go. I know people say that they don't say anything outside the group -but obvsiously they do - as I have heard a lot!

I'm feeling you. Day 2 of no addictions.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. -Oscar Wild
mickeal
Issues: Anxiety Alcoholism Narcissistic/borderlinePD parents incest physical abuse
preferred pronoun: He

Post by mickeal »

I see a lot of attics in my AA meetings. Ive heard some bad things about NA meetings also. There are some bad AA and NA meetings and Im sure there is good examples of both also. If you are in the US, look up your AA intergroup

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-local-aa

Ask them for a temporary contact/or 12 step call

They can have a member call you and help introduce you to the program.

Before I went to AA, I listened to many speakers from https://www.xa-speakers.org/ An excellent free site. I listened to these at home and I could definitely identify to what they said. For the first time I didn't feel alone.
oak

Post by oak »

Here is the question you will have to answer, the ultimate question:

What are you willing to let stop you from getting sober?

One answer is: "Nothing will stop me from getting sober."

The other answer, the only other answer is "Anything will stop me from getting sober."

That's your choice.

If you choose a reason (excuse?) to keep drinking, anything will do: "bad" AA people, slogans, meetings, sunshine, no sunshine, too little parenting received, too much parenting received.

Whichever you choose, have the courage of your convictions to own your choice.

I suggest you get sober, and suggest that you remember that there are as many ways to get sober as there are sober people. You just have to decide what you want.

Nothing I've typed here is worth drinking about.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
NeedAmor
Issues: Depression
preferred pronoun: he

Post by NeedAmor »

i feel you. Most of my friends are addicted to substance, especially to alcohol, but AA for them is a laughing stock.
TJ248
Issues: Addiction Issues

Post by TJ248 »

My friend is an alcoholic, I'm trying to help him recover. I have searched support groups like AA, but I got a little hesitate if I should suggest it. Then, a relative who lives in Nevada also mentioned about addiction treatment centers that can offer detox and counseling. In my observation my friend can't seem to quit on his own, he badly needs support and monitoring.
I'm really concern and I can't let him struggle by himself. Are there any other ways that I can help him beside AA? Please help me.
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Post by ladysquid »

To anyone looking, I know of "SOS" Secular Organization for Sobriety, funded by the nonprofit Center for Inquiry. I've had good experiences with them as far as lectures and other non-alcoholism related stuff but haven't hear anything firsthand about the meetings. They seem to have quite a few around the country and it's free!

http://www.sossobriety.org/home.html
TJ248

Post by TJ248 »

Haven't heard about "SOS", but I will try to check it. Thank you for sharing.
Terry84
preferred pronoun: he

Post by Terry84 »

I can relate in some ways...
TJ248

Post by TJ248 »

After several of consultations, my friend is now getting his therapy in Rehabilitation Care Program.
I just hope this would really make him overcome his addiction.
Besides, nobody can beat a person who doesn't give up.

Return to “Are you addicted?”