The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)

To open a discussion, post as new topic.
LizStartingOver

The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)

Post by LizStartingOver »

This week I listened to Paul’s discussion with Sara Benincasa. Sara talked a little bit about the cost of her medicines and about health insurance. She also mentioned the Affordable Care Act (ACA) otherwise known as Obamacare. This discussion is what prompts me to post some information about how the ACA impacts people with mental health issues. I do not work in the health care industry or for any political party or government agency. I just want to pass on some information about the ACA that I think might be helpful to the people on this forum.

Beginning in 2014 insurance companies will be prohibited from denying or limiting coverage or charging higher premiums to anyone because of a preexisting condition. Preexisting conditions include mental health diagnoses. There will be an expansion of Medicaid for low income people; more employers will be required to provide health care to their employees; and there will be more options for people who buy their own individual or family plans. In addition many, but not all, health insurance plans will have to include provisions for mental health services beyond prescription drugs and emergency hospitalizations.

There is a government website about all of this at http://www.healthcare.gov/index.html. I’m most familiar with the new rules for people like me who buy their own insurance but it looks like there is lot of good information for people in a lot of different situations. There is also good information about the ACA at the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law website http://www.bazelon.org/Where-We-Stand/A ... lyses.aspx.

I have to say that I don’t think anyone should delay searching for help and treatment because of their insurance status. I know how hard it is to find help when you don’t have insurance or much money. When we are sick it seems impossible to navigate through all of these complex health care issues but it can be done. There is some low cost or no cost care available. I was able to find care when I didn’t have insurance by finally telling a family member that I was at the bottom of a hole and needed help getting the tools I so desperately needed to climb my way out. Please, please, please look for help when you need it. We have to fight to save our lives.
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Re: The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)

Post by Cheldoll »

LizStartingOver wrote:Please, please, please look for help when you need it. We have to fight to save our lives.
Great post! Very helpful and very true. I lose my coverage under my parents' insurance when I turn 26 this year so I really need to get on top of this. Thanks!
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Return to “Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!”