Sadness for What Wasn't

To open a discussion, post as new topic.
remarks
Issues: overeating, anxiety, seasonal depression, emotional incest
preferred pronoun: Hey You!

Sadness for What Wasn't

Post by remarks »

I hope I can explain this so it makes sense. Sometimes I get really sad thinking about all the normal things I never got to experience as a teen/young adult. I lived with my bipolar mother in a situation where I felt like the adult most of the time. I had to make sure the bills were paid, make sure she went to work and doctor appointments, keep the house together, etc. It was just the two of us.

So I'm 37 now and every once in a while strong sadness comes over me when I think about the kinds of things I never got to experience. It's often triggered by tv/movies where young people are doing young people kinds of things. I'm talking about hanging out with friends, getting into trouble, making out with girls, stuff like that. I never got to have the care-free time because I was too busy playing the adult role. I have a pretty good life now - wife, kids, decent-paying job...but this still gets to me at times.

How do I get over this? I would talk to a therapist about it, but I'm not even sure how to approach the topic. Can anyone relate to these feelings?
oak

Re: Sadness for What Wasn't

Post by oak »

Thanks for sharing! It is good to have you.

As far as how to fix this: goodness, I have no idea. I often feel the same, so you can know that you are not alone.

Feel free to write more, as you feel comfortable sharing. This is important to examine, in a patient and self-loving way.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

What I have learned about sadness for what wasn't...

start with self-compassion

mourn the lack of what wasn't, it is a mourning process, you deserve a proper mourning process

rinse and repeat

please take care, keep the lines of communication open, all the best
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

I can relate to this feeling. I missed out on a lot of life for my own reasons and do feel that sadness at times. I feel like I should grieve for myself at some point but haven't ever got around to that. I think there are too many wounds that could be opened in the grieving process that would just depress me.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
remarks
Issues: overeating, anxiety, seasonal depression, emotional incest
preferred pronoun: Hey You!

Post by remarks »

Thanks for your responses - I really am not alone!

@manual_moe_g I think you are right. I just need to mourn this like I would the death of a family member. It was a death in some ways. A death of my youth, my innocence, and all those moments I'll never have.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

You're definitely not alone, remarks.

I experience this sadness about what wasn't, although it's about a more recent time period in my life. It's still a major issue for me, so I don't feel qualified to give any advice.

I can only say that the times when I have found relief temporarily are when I use mindfulness practices that focus my attention back to the present, and when I allow myself to express grief for the loss. I got the idea of grieving for what wasn't from reading Manuel Moe's posts about this.

rivergirl

Return to “Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!”