Mental Health Services in the UK

To open a discussion, post as new topic.
nate23

Mental Health Services in the UK

Post by nate23 »

Hello all,

I'm an American in graduate school in London and I need some guidance. I was hoping that there are some British people out there who could guide me through the NHS system. I'm currently seeing a counselor associated with the university I attend, but it really isn't helping. The counselor is nice enough, but the approach she is taking is not medical. For instance, she told me the idea of "diagnosing" mental illness was a peculiarity of the American mental health field, and when I brought up medication she didn't know what ssris were.

As I understand it, I probably should see a GP. I'm registered with the GP attached to the university, but I'm afraid if I go for mental health it will be dealt with in a manner similar to the counselor. Honestly, I need to be on medication. Is there a way to bypass the GP and see a psychiatrist directly?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Golden_Tongue

Re: Mental Health Services in the UK

Post by Golden_Tongue »

Hi Nate23,

I've been in the same situation and I feel your pain! My university offered me counselling, I found it unhelpful for the same reasons you did and ended up getting help from a private therapist recommended to me by the university medical centre (I was already on medication). I'd suggest you go to the medical centre in the morning, and see the GP on call right away. :-) Or call the reception and explain that you are feeling really depressed. As there's usually a long waiting list to see a psychologist/psychiatrist you have to be really forceful and convincing to get your way through :!: , or any good help at all, in many cases (personally I find this hard, but in hindsight I think I'd have been brutally honest to the GP on my thoughts and feelings, because I never was and didn't get to see a psychiatrist/psychologist as a result of not fully disclosing my menta illness history and thoughts). Bring a friend for moral support if possible! In all cases, a GP will be able to prescribe an antidepressant. Hope this helps.

Stay strong!
"Depression is the flaw in love." Andrew Solomon
"Nothing is mysterious, no human emotion. Except love." Susan Sontag
"It is a level of psychic pain wholly incompatible with human life as we know it." David Foster Wallace

Return to “Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!”