1. Two good news 2. Getting help: cardio

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

1. Two good news 2. Getting help: cardio

Post by oak »

Hi friends. Before we get to my foibles, let me offer you some good news from me:

1. Effective last week, I have 12 years sober.

2. Though a mixture of modest plans and good luck, I am easing back away from seriously messed up sleeping caused by the quarantine.

Though I am constantly told that "Food is not an appropriate reward!!!!!1!!", I motivated myself by promising to get sushi at the grocery store each day, if I could be out of bed by 10. So, if I continued to sleep from 8 am to 4 pm, I didn't get to enjoy the morning walk to the grocery store, picking out the delicious sushi, and (unobtrusively) seeing the pretty cashier.

Also, I practiced using my words: much as I like the already-prepared sashimi/sushi, I communicated with the friendly sushi maker as to my preferences. There was a bit of a language barrier, but we were both good sports, and I was able to make a diagram of what I was looking for.

Sometimes communication is difficult, but if we're all good sports we'll all get more of what we want, kindly.

2. My plan for getting help: cardio.

Yesterday, while returning from said grocery store, I found myself seriously out of breath and suffering, having carried said bags.

Not "I'm about to have a heart attack", but certainly "Some line has been crossed, a line of wellness, that I can't ignore. There will be real consequences if I don't effect some changes soon."

Here is my plan, imperfect as it is:

1. "Harvard School of Medicine Guide to Men's Health" on a whim I ordered this a few weeks ago when buying my beloved Amish romance novels from the online used book store. I can read this book and being to effect what it recommends.

2. I can contact (1) my primary care physician (2) my physical therapist, or (3) an in-network network new doctor to seek: a referral for an honest assessment of my cardio, flexibility, and strength.

3. Per my Zoom tae kwan do, it is time for a frank, friendly discussion with the instructor that I need to exert myself something like 50% of the current rate. Goodness.

4. When he was done with it several years ago, my friend gave me his Gen 1 iWatch. I can use it to track my heart rate (if I remember to charge it!), so I can have immediate objective data that I am too high in my heart rate, and then use my words.

Wish me luck!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: 1. Two good news 2. Getting help: cardio

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hi Oak,

Wow, 12 years sober!

Great update full of great news and a great plan!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Re: 1. Two good news 2. Getting help: cardio

Post by Beany Boo »

Congratulations on your milestone. That’s huge. Keep working those steps. Recovery is lifelong.

The good news is your sleeping 8 hours. As long as you maintain that, it doesn’t really matter which part of the day you use.

You don’t have to get the cardio program just right. You have to get it to just fit! If it fits your life - as it is - you’ll continue with it. Your health will improve. The single improvement to focus on though is ‘continuation’. Start easy, but start. And don’t stop, unless forced to. Don’t be in a rush; but keep going; for years and years.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”