I own "being nervous".

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

I own "being nervous".

Post by oak »

Like being told (yes, told) "to just relax", I wholly reject being shamed, however much, for "being nervous" or "acting nervous".

A Quote from a Deceptively Deep Film

"The most grown up thing you can do is fail at things you really care about." -Unicorn Store (2017 film)

One Experience That Illustrates

Years ago I was good-naturedly chided, long after we all got accepted and into our programs, for my "nervousness" during my graduate school interviews, which included the all-important graduate assistantship (GA) interviews.

If one didn't get a GA, in practice there was no academic spot, and if one got a GA and had the academic record, the GA would pay for all tuition, and provide a stipend and experience.

While so ostensibly "nervous" at GA weekend, I was working a toxic third shift big box stocking job, minimum wage. It was me and the keyholder, and the keyholder hated me. I knew very well what the stakes were for getting a GA.

A Thought

I think "being nervous" or "acting nervous" is one of the most honest things one can do, and one of the most brave.

Someone "acting nervous" always has excellent reason to do so!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: I own "being nervous".

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Accepting yourself for being human, good stuff.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

It’s absolutely reasonable to feel that you’re being manipulated by that phrase, particularly when it’s used by someone who is a stranger in a position of authority upon whom you depend.

You’re right to feel deeply indignant. How else are you supposed to feel?
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

@Manuel Moe: Thank you for your encouragement. It came at the perfect time: at the end of a long day, at the end of a long week. You're a true friend.

@BeanyBoo: And Manuel Moe, isn't it a treat to have a good friend like BeanyBoo here? Another gem of wisdom. Thank you, BeanyBoo!

In addition to the thanks above, if I may friends, since this is rattling around in my brain:

I am doing well. But on the most knife's-edge, teeter totter way. Like I've said before, I am holding on, but barely. But I am holding on, and am making it. My mind races more often than I care to admit.

Thanks for listening. There's more I could say, but I'll leave that there.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”