Two 5Ks: Thanksgiving and spring.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Two 5Ks: Thanksgiving and spring.

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

Having a medical diagnosis of obesity and sleep apnea, for some months I’ve endeavored to eat better (going okay) and exercise (I became smitten for my Zumba instructor). I also want to resume swing dancing in the spring, and unfortunately my cardio is very wheezy.

(Life is really difficult.)

I’ve registered for a 5K on Thanksgiving. I won’t run, at all, but hope to complete it in an hour, which is 3 mph, which is pretty brisk for me.

While finishing will be a success for me, in about six months I hope to do another one to see how far I’ve come. I don’t intend to go any faster then, but I hope it is considerably easier.

For the Thanksgiving one, I’ll post before and after.

I have more anxiety than I am letting on.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Re: Two 5Ks: Thanksgiving and spring.

Post by Beany Boo »

These are not suggestions (because it’s all just one big experiment) but, these are things I’m currently engaged in to similar ends. So I’m really reporting on what I am doing. Hopefully it is helpful, if only as a comparison. Explanations are in my own words. The food list is from a website. They’re deliberately low demand, easy to repeat activities; which seems to be my mind and body’s main requirement;

Niko Niko running - super slow jogging, from Japan, inspired by ancient hunters who had to run long distances without losing breath or spatial awareness; and needed to joke and chat with their… colleagues(?).

Parkrun - worldwide movement of meeting in a park on Saturday and walking/running 5 kilometers as a group. Free but you can track your progress on their website, without any pressure to perform.

Pilates - for hip and shoulder stability and spinal health, and socializing.

Keto - I go to the store with this list and buy foods that fit under these types. They’re satisfying but it’s early days for weight loss or diabetes prevention. It doesn’t feel like a diet, just healthy eating; I don’t feel like I’m missing out. Snacking is fun. I can report that a baby cos lettuce leaf with the thinnest line of Dijon mustard down the middle is the best snack ever;

Meat & poultry
Olive oil
Eggs
Cheese
Plain Yoghurt
Low carb veg
Avocado
Olives
Leafy veg
Fish
Nuts and seeds (not grains)
Berries
Butter and cream
Unsweetened coffee and tea
Dark chocolate

Sleep - mentally, lack of sleep creates interminable longing and futility. Sufficient sleep(s) generates readiness feelings.

Zazen meditation - Less meditation, more sitting still and being aware of all your senses for 10 minutes. The only thing to get ‘right’ is the seating position (so you’re comfortable and breathing easily) and the breathing (so you’re getting oxygen). You will face your own thoughts but breathing freely will help make more time for them and literally give them more oxygen than the normal distracted day allows.

I’m also looking into a formal mindfulness course that was recommended to me by a therapist. I feel like some of these activities would benefit from the added assistance in those moments when setbacks loom. I also believe mindfulness would help when engaging in conflicts and managing avoidance, which are my greatest vulnerability.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

@BeanyBoo: Thank you very much for the detailed, excellent information! I really appreciate it. I'll try your suggestions, and keep you updated. One good thing already: I see there is a ParkRun near my work, and multiple people have 5K times on the site of where I am aiming: at 55 minutes.

Update: Objective 1 of 3 completed: Getting shirt and number.

I was terrified beforehand, but I'm pleased to report the race director could not have been more kind, encouraging, and relaxed.

Honesty is the best policy, and I told her I was terrified to even pick up the t-shirt. She was kind and encouraging, and told me that my goal of 3 miles per hour is an excellent, worthy goal.

Though I've consciously not shared this here in this thread, I more than a little excited by seeing fit women. I noted the race entrants picking up their shirts/numbers were both attractive women in black leggings. This is in my wheelhouse.

Happily, I have the encouragement of my kettlebell instructor, the gym manager, and my mental health counselor for Thursday.

I have all sorts of anxiety about Thursday (crowds, especially; I've never trusted them), but for now I'll take this victory.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

I used to walk a 5K every year(Race for the Cure). My time was normally 1 hour. I am not physically fit and always joked that I could walk it in 1 hour but if I ran it would take me 2 hours. The key is just a steady pace. Establish a brisk pace and then maintain. I will admit I always enjoyed when the young ladies would run by. Don't compare yourself to the runners. You are not racing them. You are just challenging yourself. Enjoy the fresh air. Enjoy the scenery. Enjoy the freedom. :animals-dogrun:
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
oak

Post by oak »

@Brownblob: Thank you for your encouragement. I of course re-read it, right before the race began. You gave a lot of comfort.

Well, friends, I did it!

It took me 75 minutes, and I was the last person to complete, but I felt great afterwards. I'd love to do this again.

There were many beautiful women there, many in their 40s and 50s. Ergo, it is a lie that middle age is old. There is every reason for hope for good health and vitality in our 40s and 50s.

As much as I've always felt alienated/Other from athletics, for the first time this felt right. I could see it as a way of life. I could easily do one of these every month.

However, the weather is getting colder, so I'll prepare for the spring 5K of this thread title. I've made a note to post again in six months or so.

Thanks for listening!
RightInTwo
Issues: CPTSD, self loathing, self isolation
preferred pronoun: she

Post by RightInTwo »

Congratulations oak! Thank you for sharing your success with us. 😊
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Great job, Oak! I used to do 5k walks and remember being with the last group finishing on the first walk I did. I still think it's a success to finish on your first time. :)

rg
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

Great job. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Ha! :clap: :clap:

Lovely work.

My Pilates teacher (who is super fit (in my opinion)) gave this advice about running, which I’ll pass on. Run at an intensity where you stay on top of your breathing, even if that’s very slow. That way it stays fun, and injury-free; and your stamina over time will improve gradually anyway.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”