Monday bookend: plan for week and year, then watch football.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Monday bookend: plan for week and year, then watch football.

Post by oak »

Friends, can I posit a bookend?

Bookend 1 of 2

Today, Monday, I want to come up with two plans: one for this week (snack-making plans) and for next summer (entry into middle class via earning and fun).

1. This week, food: plan shopping trip for late this week.

How I'll know it is complete: I'll have 3-5 recipes (Mediterranean diet-type snacks) to make later this week. This plan will be specific (this recipe requires these ingredients).

2. Next summer, finances so I can afford a middle-class life.

How I'll know it is complete: I will have broad (yet clear, if that makes sense) plans for what I'll do with my time when I have more money next summer. Specifically, I'll want to afford car repair so I can go to Zumba, swing dances, and yoga.

So I continue to fix my nutrition this year, then go earn more money next year so I can be middle class and have more fun next year.

I'll update tonight, right before I watch the game!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Re: Monday bookend: plan for week and year, then watch football.

Post by oak »

Bookend 1.1 of 2

Two edits to clarify:

1. While I am still actively trying new interventions to cure my sleep apnea, the end is in sight for active experimentation: I'll find what works and stick with it.

Each day I was in the office last week I ended up hungry with several hours to go. I can try to do better this week. I just need a plan, my friends.

2. What will I have to accomplish and plan in September 2022 to achieve my June 2023 goals?

(eg working and planning backwards)

I'm scared friends! AAAAAaaah!
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

I accomplished all three, more or less, though it took longer than I expected.

1. I have a preliminary plan for mid-week meal prep (ie survive until the weekend, when I can make more substantial plans).

2. I have a simple, broad plan for 2023: "Participate in a specific kettlebell competition in September, and maybe a duathlon in October". This gives me a place to start and a place to end, so now the question is just "how", not "what" or "why" or "when", since I already know those. I'll need to achieve 4-5 subsidiary goals to effect this overarching goal.

3. I enjoyed the football game.

Thanks for listening!
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Oak,

what do you find is that thing that prevents you from working on what is logically the most important appropriate & do-able task?

i find it is the ability to waste time lounging and smartphone scrolling, which is all fear based, because if i fail on the task, i will know absolutely that i am a bad person
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Post by oak »

Manuel Moe, so good to hear from you, my friend. I hop your week is going well.
manuel_moe_g wrote: September 13th, 2022, 9:12 am Hello Oak,

what do you find is that thing that prevents you from working on what is logically the most important appropriate & do-able task?

i find it is the ability to waste time lounging and smartphone scrolling, which is all fear based, because if i fail on the task, i will know absolutely that i am a bad person
An excellent question.

Fact: I spend 4-8 hours a day scrolling Reddit. Why? I am afraid to ask, and even more afraid that I know the truth.

Conjecture: I say, in this forum, that I want to participate in a kettlebell competition in twelve months. I can spend my time: actually swinging a kettlebell, learning about new kettlebell training methods, learning and practicing new research regarding the Mediterranean diet and fitness, etc.

I have all of these resources at my fingertips, with results that would surely improve my life, yet I choose to scroll reddit.

I complain: "I'm broke. I'm fat. I'm lonely." Well, even if I take one quarter of that daily time on Reddit, two hours, then I could vastly and quickly improve each of those.

Why don't I?

Gosh, that is a terrifying question to consider, much less answer.

I don't know what the answer is, Manuel Moe, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, I went into my phone and set my daily screentime limit for Reddit for two hours. I've also created a anxiety exposure hierarchy document in Google Drive for alternative actions to effect when I reach that limit.

You posit a good question, Manual Moe. Feel free to share your thoughts, including regarding your experience with TikTok.

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”