(Up to) Six days without power: mental health mitigation.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

(Up to) Six days without power: mental health mitigation.

Post by oak »

Friends, just after midnight (today, Friday) we had a terrible storm with tornadoes within about 10-20 miles of my apartment! There were no tornadoes in my town, but the situation was plenty anxious, as you’ll see.

If you don’t mind, I’d like to post about the storm, and surviving until we get our power back on (which may take up to six days). I hope to include little victories.

I hope you’ll forgive me for not using bold and itals: I am on my phone.

My Goals

Mitigate my mental health suffering, manage my expectations, endure this mishegas, and see if I can eke out a little victory or two.

I also want to break up these six days, especially the next four days: (1) on the weekend charging my electronics at the library during the day before I return to the apt, and (2) Monday and Tuesday that I will mostly spend in the office.

I’m not too concerned about the other two days: today is practically over, and with any luck the power should be back on Wednesday.

Said another way: it is easier to handle four days than six. And to break those four days into two chunks. More manageable.

Lastly, I want to keep occupied by playing video games on my laptops (until the batteries die), and showering and shaving for as long as I can. I recognize that I will have difficulties, but I will live as normal as I can. This is mental health, for me.

The Storm Itself (early Friday morning)

I had a really good Thursday; I felt a content I might feel once or twice a year.

Just after midnight I had a horrid sound from my phone, for the emergency alert system, and for the first time in my 47 I heard the emergency sirens here in town. I didn’t know what was going on, at first, and it was the scariest 3 minutes of my life. We were under a tornado watch for another thirty minutes, which was also anxiety-creating.

Happy news: a bit of a prepper, I had my phone, charger, keys, wallet, and flashlight ready in thirty seconds, and in another thirty seconds I was dressed and ready to go immediately if that was indicated.

Friday Day and Evening

By some minor miracle there was still hot water when I woke up, so I took a brief shower. I threw out all of my perishable food. It is crackers and room-temperature pop for food, at least here at the apt, for the next six days.

At work, during the day Friday, I charged my phone, backup laptops, and power banks.

After work, the hot water miracle continued and I took another brief shower, and shaved. I felt much better.

Thanks for listening, friends! I’ll post more soon 🙂
Last edited by oak on August 25th, 2023, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Re: (Up to) Six days without power: mental health mitigation.

Post by oak »

A few predictions about when the power might be on:

I am fine it takes all six days, until Wednesday evening. I know there is enormous need.

I’m guessing the median time for it to be back on will be Tuesday around noon.

I’d be delighted if it came on sometime Sunday.

I don’t anticipate it being back on tomorrow (Saturday) as there are so many thousands without power.

While I think physically I’ll be fine, I think I’ll be okay, mentally, if I can keep distracted: video games, Reddit, and Hallmark movies I downloaded to my phone via my semi-beloved Hoopla app.

Posting here is also good for me. Thank you for experiencing this with me. It is sort of an interesting experience; not one that I’d choose but here I am. I may as well make something of it.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Oak
Wow that’s a long time without power? Are you in a large residential area? Wasn’t part of that cyclone that hit?

As long as you’re safe and got food and water. Not to much soda young man!!!
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I like how you keep using ‘mishegas’.

Do you have a disaster go-bag?

Here is a good guide:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2084022/

Also, if disaster overtakes you, volunteering as much or as little as you’re able can alleviate feelings of stuckness, although, you have to respect your own limits. Endurance will become an issue.

:wave:
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

@Mental Fairy: yes, we are in a highly populated region, and while we aren’t near the recent cyclones, several tornadoes tore up the nearby downtown.

@BeanyBoo: thank you for the video; I’ve effected it’s advice, and have my bag next to my door, ready to go a moment’s notice.

Days 2 and 3 of 6

Friends, Saturday (day 2) and today (day 3) have been just fine.

I charged my laptop and power bricks at the library both days. This whole situation is fine. I’m starting to get sick of it.

Tomorrow (day 4) and Tuesday (day 5) I can heat up food at the office. I can have some hot meals, thank goodness.

Some reviews of my experience so far:

10/10 Unqualified successes:

1. My phone’s battery has lasted a long time, with frequent recharges with the power bricks, so I can watch Hallmark movies, scroll Reddit, and half-watch NFL preseason games. I have been happily distracted all weekend. I would have gone crazy from the dark and anxiety without these appreciated distractions.

2. By some miracle my apartment building still has unlimited hot water. Without showering I’d have been miserable.

3. I couldn’t ask for better weather: it has always been between 50 and 75 F. This experience would be miserable with hotter weather, and dangerous with colder weather.

3/10 Tolerable:

1. Food: I have plenty to eat, as long as I want crackers, tepid tap water, and and room temperature pop.

2. The little LED tea lights are better than complete darkness, I guess.

Above all, I’ve walked away from a natural disaster with my life, a roof over my head, my car, and a job.

That is a success that many people, who weren’t so lucky, would gladly trade me for.
troebia
Issues: anxiety, nightmares, depression
preferred pronoun: he

Post by troebia »

Oak, from what you write one can sense you're keeping yourself together great, practically zen monk level! Do you have neighbours close by and how are they holding out?
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Super impressed Oak, love the mindset
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

tepid tap water, and room temperature pop.
Nothing worse than room temperature pop.
But room temperature water we've lived with for millennia.

Mybe you can use this time to wean yourself from the sugar water?
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

Checking in, How are you? Do you have power yet?

Stopped by the gym to day for some stretching and a little work on the machines.
Not too much, and it always does me good.

I saw the kettle bells and thought of you.
Took a couple of them in hand and walked around the gym a bit.

I have to say - They're a Tool of the Devil! :lol:
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Tool of the devil!!! :clap: I agree!
I believe Oak is way stronger than we are lead to believe!

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”