Fear of Success

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Derek

Fear of Success

Post by Derek »

So lately I'm finding myself afraid of well shit what I've wanted for a while. I'm looking at transferring from my community college and after digging around and talking to a few recruiters I'm finding out that I have a really good shot at one of the better schools in the state and that is utterly fucking terrifying.

I was told for a long time going though elementary, middle and high school that I'd never make it to college because I was learning disabled. Fast forward many years turns out I just had a few really severe anxiety disorders that were holding me back (still are in a few ways). So now here I sit with a solid GPA and the cusp of some success and making all my old teachers eat shit but I'll be damned if I don't want to sabotage it as hard as possible.

I know there's got to be a few other people out there trying to deal with this and was wondering how they do it.
Frootsy Collins

Re: Fear of Success

Post by Frootsy Collins »

I've gone through this as well. I think it's not so much the success I'm afraid of. I think I'm more afraid of the fact that when I get that success, I'm going to have more responsibility and when I screw up it will mean a lot more and affect more people who will realize I got into that position by mistake. Does that make sense to anyone?
"How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”