Gollum's Theme from LOTR II Return of the King

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Sherlock
Issues: Depression, anxiety, psychotic break trauma
preferred pronoun: They

Gollum's Theme from LOTR II Return of the King

Post by Sherlock »

I could tell a full on story about when I first heard this song, but I'll just let it speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hmt82NFhYk

Where once was light,
Now darkness falls,
Where once was love,
Love is no more

Don't say... goodbye
Don't say--I didn't try....

These tears we cry
Are falling rain,
For all the lies you told us
The hurt, the blame!

... And we will weep, so alone
We are lost, we can never go home

So in the end,
I will be what I will be
No loyal friend
Was ever there for me

Now we say... goodbye
We say: you didn't try...

These tears you cry,
Have come too late
Take back the lies
The hurt, the blame!

And you will weep, so alone
When you face the end alone
You are lost... you can never go home

It's just weird that this song resonated with me when I was at SUCH a young age and didn't care much for Lord of the Rings. Gollum's struggle between his self and his obsession, his other self, is something I'm sure a lot of people identified with when they watched the trilogy.

But specifically this song resonates so hard on the feelings... first it's "you did this" and the lyrics switch.... "I did this" essentially. It masterfully maps the challenges of most mental illnesses. Blaming yourself, blaming others, feeling alone, weeping, feeling lied to by yourself or others...

Even though the song is dark it gives me comfort. I'm hoping those of you who are on the deeper end of depression don't feel like you have to go through with what the lyrics say--just listen and identify... feeling alienated, obsessed... lied to, alone.

The loyal friends is one part I still cry over but I won't fully succumb to: my loyal friends have always done their best... I only cry because it's not enough.
I'll stay a threat/Stay a raised fist offender/My rebel soul/Will never surrender
Sherlock
Issues: Depression, anxiety, psychotic break trauma
preferred pronoun: They

Re: Gollum's Theme from LOTR II Return of the King

Post by Sherlock »

I did get some of the lyics wrong. :P So it's better to listen to the song somehow, especially since the singer portrays the emotions of it so well.

It's great to find a song that enlivens you, gets you upbeat.... but sometimes I really just need to listen to something that encompasses my darker feelings. Cartharsis is a real thing: I can't cry over my real problems, but I can cry when I listen to this song and understand it on my level.

Anyone else with me on that? :)
I'll stay a threat/Stay a raised fist offender/My rebel soul/Will never surrender
kitkat

Re: Gollum's Theme from LOTR II Return of the King

Post by kitkat »

Yesss, I love this song. :) And I totally know what you mean, I also have trouble crying over things in real life, but music tends to bring it out. And it is 100% cathartic :D Sometimes it is just nice and comfy to listen to dark things too.

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”