Am I human?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Big Pikel
Issues: Internet diagnosed depression
preferred pronoun: He sir bro

Am I human?

Post by Big Pikel »

Does anyone else have no emotions?

I've lived through a lot of horrible events in my life. All 4 grandparents are dead, uncle committed suicide, 4 friends overdosed, 9/11, the stars wars prequels etc. yet I have no emotional reaction to it.
I remember 9/11, the day it happened and the weeks following, everyone was so tore up about it. Whether it was sadness, or anger everyone reacted but me. I listen to the podcast and there's not even a hint of emotion out of me during the darkest and heaviest parts of the conversation.
Is this normal? Am I human? I'd really like to know
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Am I human?

Post by snoringdog »

Elizabeth Wurtzel who wrote "Prozac Nation mentioned the same non-reaction to 9/11....

I remember not being able to relate to that, at the time, but (extreme) numbness and self-absorption are two of the hallmarks of depression, right? Not unfamiliar now...

And just learned from the podcasts that cutting (self harm) is one way the sufferer uses to try to either feel something, or to concentrate/focus the inner pain on something external and tangible...

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”