Comfort from Tragedy TV

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
remarks
Issues: overeating, anxiety, seasonal depression, emotional incest
preferred pronoun: Hey You!

Comfort from Tragedy TV

Post by remarks »

You know how Paul often brings up how watching serial killer documentaries on Netflix is comforting? I have something similar. I am comforted by breaking news coverage of tragedies, whether it be a mass shooting, tornado, whatever. To be clear: I do NOT enjoy that these things happen…quite the opposite.
But there’s something comforting to me about sitting down and watching news coverage for a few hours. Sometimes I even go on YouTube and watch old coverage of things like 9/11, JFK assassination, Hurricane Katrina, etc.

Does anyone else find comfort in something unsettling like Paul and I do?
oak

Re: Comfort from Tragedy TV

Post by oak »

As you the site header says, you are not alone.

The balance, so far as I understand, is between wallowing in the moments, replaying the trauma constantly, and ignoring by pretending nothing happened.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Comfort from Tragedy TV

Post by snoringdog »

• I've pretty much given up on TV, it's become so frenetic. And information comes only in bits and pieces, because that's how reality unfolds.

I'd rather get my info from newspapers, magazines, or from news sites where I can somewhat manage the flow.....

Current events are harder to take than historical ones, probably due to the uncertainty involved.

Sometimes, when I've watched a tragedy unfold, covered by news stations, I wonder how they can keep their composure. Maybe that's the comfort...
(BTW - Just tried the List function, since these thoughts are a bit disjointed ;) )

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”