How often are you able to "check in" with yourself?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

By "check in" I mean insert a little pause between stimulus and response, and ground yourself in what is important for today?

Lately, when I check in with myself, I tell my young version of myself that I love him

you would think I would be able to do this dozens of times a day, but actually if it is 3 times a day or more that is a "red-letter" day! :lol: i am being serious here, compulsive action rules my life, and i am not sure what to do about it (caveat below)

how about you? i am interested to know

(actually i have a bad feeling that i should be meditating, and that might allow me more pauses between stimulus and response. i feel bad about it because i have a worry that i will be a terrible meditator, i may be missing the point, the point is not to be a perfect meditator)
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Re: How often are you able to "check in" with yourself?

Post by oak »

Manuel Moe, hello. I hope you had a good holiday.

Yes, checking in with one's self three times a day is a good day indeed.

My average number is 1.5, and that is usually on the physical side. I try to get away from the desk at 10:30 and 2:30 (such is the ideal!) for a few minutes of tai chi/chair yoga.

Now that you mention checking in with yourself, I'll be cognizant to observe how often I do it during the rest of this week.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I’ve meditated steadily this year for the first time. The last few weeks I’ve done it in a disciplined way for 20 minutes a day.

On Sunday I got caught under an awning during a really heavy extended rain shower. I sort of involuntarily dropped into the meditative state I’d been practicing. I spent 5 minutes being only aware of leaves falling slowly to the ground amidst the rain. It was a little disturbing because it came on unexpectedly and was profound in a scary way. But I recognized it as the same state I’d been practicing.

I don’t really check in with myself in that way you describe. But I realize that not loving myself or others is like walking through life holding your breath. Since I can’t wait any longer until I become perfect enough to love, I’ve relented and begun to love me as I am. I realized that’s easier to do if I love the people around me too.

That involves relenting on waiting for the perfect person to love showing up, and instead loving the imperfect people I live amidst, even while they continue being so flawed and doing stuff I still find disagreeable or disgusting.

It feels a little like risking my life but, at least I get to be imperfect then.

And breathe.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

ok speaking this out loud, this is a check-in in real-time, i notice that i am in the gap between stimulus and response, and i choose to check-in, and i tell little Manuel that I love him, and that i love him just the way he is, and then i spin the camera around, and i am looking into the face of my older brother, and he is so tall, and he puts his hands on my shoulders, and he says to me that he loves me and he loves me just the way i am, and i feel the <<relief>> in my eyes, then i spin the camera around again and i am driving the car, and i pull the car over to the side of the road gently, and i look in the back seat and i see little depressed manuel and little anxious manuel and i tell them that don't worry i got this, and now i have a little celebration about checking-in i go "whoo-hoo" and raise my arms in a "whoo-hoo", and now i am in a perfect way to choose my thoughts and actions
~~~~~~
techchick
Issues: Autism, ADHD (self DX), cPTSD, depression, binge / restrict eating disorder
preferred pronoun: she / they

Post by techchick »

This thread is reminding me that a few daily self check-ins would benefit me too.

Mindful self-compassion practices like the ones described by Manuel Moe are the only ones that "take" for me, but I suspect I'll need medication too since nothing else by itself seems to be working very well.

Manuel, thank you so much for describing exactly how you do this and how it's working for you. Some of us need specific instructions!
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Didn't check in with self as much as i would have wanted, but at least i remembered just now.

Go through the same exercise as above...

at the end, come back to the image of my imaginary older brother telling me "i love you, and i love you just the way you are" with his hands on my shoulders
~~~~~~
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I really like this work. It’s great way to gently rework those neural pathways into a more virtuous cycle. And the hand on the shoulder... beautiful.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”