My mom's in hospital

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Son & Air

My mom's in hospital

Post by Son & Air »

Ra ti ta ti ta...so I get a call this morning from a friend of my mothers telling me they had to take her to the hospital last night because of "rectal bleeding." Charming.

Now, my mother had a colonoscopy last week and the doctor apparently thinks this was a side effect of that.

You'd think I wouldn't be okay with this; yet strangely I feel...not un-okay. I mean my stomach isn't plunging or anything.

My relationship with my mother has screwed up most of my life. I know a lot of people feel a parent fucked them up, but I actually have a "smoking gun," so to speak: She's the one who molested me.

This is one of the things that happens when the focus of your anger is a person "of a certain age." There's a question of can you get "closure," or whatever, before their *life* closes.

And perhaps worse than that, it makes you feel guilty for wanting to confront them and really vent. I've said this before: At least as bad as what my mom did to me is that she let me go OVER 15 YEARS before I started dealing with it...
Must you be kicked right down, ripped from limb
Taught to drown, but told to swim
The way to be, the way to act is
Not to preach what you practice
soliloquy

Re: My mom's in hospital

Post by soliloquy »

I'm dealing with some similar feelings right now, too, but with my Dad. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer a couple weeks ago and ... well, a lot of what you wrote resonates with me.
Son & Air

Re: My mom's in hospital

Post by Son & Air »

I'm both glad to know there's someone else here going through something like I am, and sorry that's happening to you. My mom's coming home today and I think she'll recover, which of course doesn't resolve any of our issues. My friends and therapist have been reminding me that my need for closure and/or venting should be dealt with, guilt-free...
Must you be kicked right down, ripped from limb
Taught to drown, but told to swim
The way to be, the way to act is
Not to preach what you practice

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”