Scientists and Vikings: How I Describe Depression

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Ting!

Scientists and Vikings: How I Describe Depression

Post by Ting! »

This comic was probably meant to be a silly take on the creationism v. evolution debates, but I've found it also makes a good way to explain depression and anxiety to people without mental illnesses. It can help people understand why all those annoying, harmful, yet maddeningly common responses like "but you have so much to be thankful for!" don't help. In my head, depression is a big, hulking Viking. You can try to talk to it and tell it that your life is good, that strangers don't automatically hate you, and that you shouldn't sleep 14 hours a day, but no matter how many times you talk to it, it just chops your face off. Depression, anxiety, and many other mental illnesses are very difficult to rationalize with. That's why we need something more, we need therapy and support groups and sometimes medication. This is all my personal issues, I understand that each type of mental illness is its own fucked-up snowflake, but I hope it helps someone out there get a little more understanding from a friend or family member who just doesn't get it.
RationalMuse

Re: Scientists and Vikings: How I Describe Depression

Post by RationalMuse »

I LOVE the cartoon. Mainly because I am on the evolution side of things. Mental illness and all it's crazy cousins, anxiety, depression etc. aren't myths though - big and ugly and irrational, difficult to combat, list a mist, that I can relate to. I know what keeps me from losing my grip even more is knowing that just because we can't see it, touch or smell it that mental illness is real - like quarks, dark matter and nebulous clouds - there is evidence of their existence even when finding them and showing them to the world isn't possible.

Tori Amos wrote an introduction to a Death comic by Neil Gaiman and described depression like a swamp with alligators chomping at your ass. My husband and I use that analogy all the time when he asks how I am doing. People trying to help are like ropes being thrown or hanging just out of reach, people who make life more difficult are beast stalking outside the swamp making it harder or just as scary to get out of the swamp. Lately, I have been blaming myself for falling in, like I was hopping on one foot around the edge of the swamp with a blind fold on. Because I have kids I feel like "the depression" is holding my children ransom as a threat that if I don't get better then my daughters are forfeit. Sometimes having an image to picture and something to fight helps - just like your big scary Viking. Maybe we could get together and shove him in a swamp that sucks him into a black hole out of existence.
Ting!

Post by Ting! »

Thanks for the reply! If you like the comic you should check out all of Tim Kreider's stuff at thepaincomics.com, he's fantastic. Sorry if the post came off as saying mental illnesses aren't real, I just really liked the image of something 'big, ugly, and irrational' to describe depression.
weary

Post by weary »

I also was tickled by your comic. As a fellow depression-sufferer, I understand why this was relevant, but like RelevantMuse said, I also appreciate it as someone fighting the fight against scientific illiteracy and all kinds of woo. RM - I am familiar with the Tori quote above, and I guess it is not a surprise to see Tori Amos and Neil Gaiman pop up on this board. Now there would be two astounding interviews for Paul - but probably really bizarre as well.

I just checked out thepaincomics.com and it is awesome. Thanks for giving me something unexpected to smile about today.

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”