Ignoring chores except for my dishes...

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
MizLzie

Ignoring chores except for my dishes...

Post by MizLzie »

My usual energy level is low, which means that when I have those two days off on the weekend, instead of cleaning, laundry, all the stuff I need to do gets delayed until the next weekend. And then pushed to the weekend after that, until a month has gone by since I've cleaned up my tiny apartment. The only reason I do laundry on any sort of schedule is because I will run out of underwear & socks...

BUT - I'm a bit obsessive over my dishes. It was only a few years ago when I went through my first round of unemployment (months) that I started to do my dishes constantly. Before, I would rinse and stack, until I absolutely needed to wash, and then it would be quite the chore. I have a very small apartment & kitchen so there's not much counter space, which made it difficult to stack and leave them for so long. So when I had all that free time from no job, I realized that instead of rinsing, I might as well wash them. Ever since then (aside from extremely low points) I've been a bit obsessive over washing my dishes. Sometimes two or three times in the evening while I'm cooking. My hands are always really dry from the constant washing.

But I won't do my laundry... I was planning on doing a load on Monday, it's not Saturday and I will put it off till tomorrow (conveniently I need more soap, why it's not happening today). Now, I think part of the avoidance is that I actually have to use the room in the building right next door (same property owners), so I have to leave my apartment to go to the building (steps away). But still, I need clean clothes, towels, bedding, and I keep avoiding it! And washing my floors! I have a cat who tracks litter and instead of doing that bit of work to have the great clean floors I love, I sit on my computer all weekend, drinking too much coffee & smoking too much... Where the hell is that obsessive energy with the dishes when the rest of my place is a disaster!

Does anyone else completely ignore some things while obsessing over something else?
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Re: Ignoring chores except for my dishes...

Post by ghughes1980 »

Bingo, right on the money! I do the same thing. Willing to wear the same clothes day after day but eat off a dirty plate? Hell no! One more thing to add to the obsessions ;)
Geek

Re: Ignoring chores except for my dishes...

Post by Geek »

All the time! I ignore cleaning the house sometimes because I get depressed and just don't have the energy. I won't cook or do laundry, but I'll journal or surf the net for hours, obsessively. I especially hate grocery shopping. When I'm depressed, chores get put on the back burner so to speak.

The Internet searches are obsessive.. lately I've been looking at quartz crystals. God, I'm nuts!!!

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”