high sensitivity

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Godcanbetrusted

high sensitivity

Post by Godcanbetrusted »

aloha community! :)

I have benefited SO MUCH from reading about the genetic trait of high sensitivity - see Elaine Aron's books (ie, The Highly Sensitive Person). she has done so much for that 15-20% of the population who tend to be more susceptible to changes in our environment and perceptions about/from others.
http://www.hsperson.com/
I'm honestly not an employee for this site or for Aron, I swear! but in our mainstream culture, and in most workplaces - sensitivity is not at all a validated characteristic. yet as i've recently learned, if we didn't have "HSPs" there would be no musicians, artists, prophets, or intuitives to guide us. they are the wisdom-keepers, the beauty-perceivers, and the inspirers. Even many comedians! :) But because of these talents, they bear the weakness of being more vulnerable to mental health issues than a person who is not highly sensitive. According to Aron, 50% of counselors' or psychologists' caseloads are highly sensitive - essentially showing how our culture and society do not affirm or assist in adaptation, and we end up thinking there's something wrong with us. Thank goodness, nothing could be further with the truth. I am so thankful to realize that being sensitive means there's something RIGHT with us.

I used to constantly tell myself to hurry up, get over it, "you're being too sensitive." Now I'm working on being kinder to that sensitive part of me - it's one of the most precious parts - and it allows me to better love others.
Pigeon

Re: high sensitivity

Post by Pigeon »

I find this concept intriguing! I've always felt very sensitive and I know a lot of people in my family are the same way. I'll have to check out her books!

Thank you for sharing!
Just breathe.
LeeLeeLee

Post by LeeLeeLee »

And for all the people in my life who have told me to stop being so sensitive - a big giant raspberry to you!!!
"There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in..." Leonard Cohen
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

And for all the people in my life who have told me to stop being so sensitive - a big giant raspberry to you!!!
Amen to that!
Just breathe.

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”