expand the personality disorders

FrecklesMcGee
Issues: emotional and physical neglect, codependency, PTSD, anxiety, late night binging
preferred pronoun: she

expand the personality disorders

Post by FrecklesMcGee »

I feel like borderline and narcissism tend to be the personality disorders that get the most attention. I lived with a mother who had dependent personality disorder and this is like virtually dead space on the internet. I can't find any resources about it and no one seems to even know it exists, but I assure you it does and it was devastating. I would love to see more of the personality disorders get highlighted in your section on diagnosed mental illness. Thanks, Paul, for all that you do!! This place is amazing.
Kismet
Issues: Schizoid PD, depression, anxiety, dissociative disorder
preferred pronoun: She

Re: expand the personality disorders

Post by Kismet »

I completely agree! I have schizoid personality, which is almost never talked about. When it is mentioned people think I mean schizophrenic, which it has nothing to do with.

I thought I was normal growing up, I didn't think it was strange not being able to make friends, but it wasn't important to me. When my child with aspergers got older I saw many similarities between us and I thought maybe that's what I had. I finally went back to therapy and the therapist immediately told me I didn't have Aspergers, I had eye contact and I don't have the social awkwardness. (Among other things). It was only until I described how I am very secretive, and how even though I love people I prefer not to be around them 90% of the time and I have 0 friends and it doesn't bother me no matter how much people tell me it should. I was either ignored or raised by a narcissistic mother. My therapist finally said sounds I have schizoid personality. And I had no idea what it was.

I can tell others on this forum I have schizoid PD but I bet it doesn't mean shit to anybody. So yeah, I agree, a little education about all the many personality disorders would be great. There are so many kinds of humans out there, I know I'm weird and am interested in the science part of this if nothing else to learn about all of us.... It certainly won't hurt :D
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

Hi Kismet,
I was diagnosed with schizoid pd before. I don't know if I'm really schizoid, I may just be avoidant, but I'm a loner. I don't connect with people. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there was somebody out there who knew what schizoid meant and that you are not alone.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Great suggestion. Sorry I just got around to it. Created a thread.
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

Not sure how much interest/need there is for this, but I noticed there isn't one for avoidant personality disorder. Of course, given the nature of the problem, I don't imagine many people would visit, but I thought I'd put it out there.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Great suggestion!
I'm on it.

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

You're awesome. Thanks, Paul.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.

Return to “Forum Suggestions/Problems”