Trying to post having trouble

pale_ale
Issues: Depression
preferred pronoun: she

Trying to post having trouble

Post by pale_ale »

I have written a couple posts but when I try and submit it tells me I have to log in and what I wrote is gone dont know what Iam doing wrong.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Re: Trying to post having trouble

Post by rivergirl »

Your post may be timing out if you take to long to post it.
Fargin
Issues: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Post by Fargin »

The forum software is like the well meaning friend saying: "You depressed? Well just stop being unhappy!"

I wish the forum software was more like a friend, that had an edit post button. ;)
pale_ale
Issues: Depression
preferred pronoun: she

Post by pale_ale »

Thanks I am sure its the timing out thing. I have a hard time trying to figure out what I am trying to say so I write slow.
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

I've experienced the timing out quite a bit myself, pale_ale. I criticize what I write and then edit it too much and end up losing the post. You can copy it as you're writing to to avoid losing the whole thing.

I hope you're having an ok Sunday.
MNyby

Post by MNyby »

I'm sorry to the management for my bluntness, but this is not a Twitter style community, correct? Don't you appreciate people here properly expressing themselves in their posts? Sometimes that "expressing oneself" might mean it will take time.

I just had the same thing happen to me and first thing, folks, is you hit your browser's back button and you'll see your post again. Copy it and paste it to a notepad document format.

But this set of instructions isn't going to help some people who get to this thread too late and either had to do their post all over again, OR they just give up and leave the community in disgust.

What I am getting at, forum management, is there is no good reason to have the settings such that I can't take thirty minutes to do my post and not have to worry about losing it. Like this one right now. It is irritating the first time it happens and it is actually irritating even now. It can also lose you members, if, like I wrote above, it happens to them and they give up and leave the community right away.

AND where is the proper notice to all members to be careful about this? The proper instructions are to use the preview tool and that is better than using the draft system. Some people don't know how to use the draft tool. BUT a key point is where is the sticky that warns people to be careful and what to do?

Or why not reset the settings to reduce the possibility of this not-so-good thing from happening?

In fact, in this thread it looks like that last complaint was 5 years ago and the problem still exists. Something about that seems impolite. This is an Online Community of humans and maybe a little more respect could be shown to us humans, please. Lots of fancy words written about respecting humans can't fix this problem. Action is what is needed to show that respect I hope you have for us.

So are you going to fix this problem? I don't want to have to come back here in another 5 years and ask again. Please.

And thank you for your attention, forum/community management.
manuel_moe_g
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello MNyby

the "losing long posts" unfortunately isn't something that is an issue of settings on the server end

the message board software and hosting is all out of Paul's pocket, so the message board software used is not very sophisticated, and the server we use simply doesn't have the sophistication to save drafts while the user is typing, those nice features are only available to websites backed by billion dollar corporations, not little ol' us

i will put a warning out there to write long posts on the computer editor of your choice, leave the editor open, and then paste and submit and get confirmation that the post was successful

thanks for the heads up, appreciate it!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
MNyby

Post by MNyby »

Do appreciate the quick response and saw you were in the ACP when looking at the Who Is Online page. I run a phpBB board myself and used to be (many years ago) a volunteer helping sort on the phpBB site and I will do a bit of checking on that. I understand that Paul would be the only one to be able to access server settings, but I suspect there might be a way to work around the situation in the ACP itself, which it seems you have access to. And it hit me if it might also be related to if a member unchecks the "Stay logged in" box. (Or whatever that tool is called.) But as I have never had that problem on my site gives me the idea that it is a setting in the ACP, because I don't do much in the way of adjustments in my server settings. I'm not sure, though. Let me check on that, and I'll get back to you.

But do appreciate you getting to this as quickly as you did.
manuel_moe_g
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

in the ACP, GENERAL | BOARD CONFIGURATION | Post settings | Posing | Limit editing time:

we currently have it set to 99999 Minutes (which Wolfram|Alpha says is 69 days 10 hours 39 minutes, lol :lol: )

i am not sure of any other setting on our end that could be related to lost posts, but i am very far from a phpBB expert, my main job is to be friendly, be online a lot, and delete spam. i would love to learn more about what i can do in the phpBB ACP to make the site more friendly

all the best!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

“Boom”
That was my head exploding with knowledge from the bottom of the earth!

Return to “Forum Suggestions/Problems”