What's the point of a suggestion?

inmymind
Issues: Depression, anxiety, intimate relationships.
preferred pronoun: He

What's the point of a suggestion?

Post by inmymind »

First, let me preface this my saying I am deeply grateful for this forum and the podcast. I know that those who are administering and creating both of them are most likely doing it for FREE, and I am forever grateful. I offer my services for free also. If there is anything I could do to help, I would be glad to donate a little time here and there. I feel like shit for not having yet contributed even one bloody dollar to Paul's cause, but I've been out of work for over a year now, and am burning through my savings just to pay the bills. Like Paul says, there are many ways to contribute. I so feel for all those who share here and on the podcast, and for Paul too. I want to see everyone find more peace, and for the podcast and website to succeed. This means, more listeners, participants, and donations. So, how to get there is the focus of my rant.

OK, now for the tough love. This forum is almost dead. Let me say I think it SUCKS because of that. The number of repeat participants is very low when compared to other forums. Yes, the nature of the subjects (meaning both the participants, and what they write about), isn't exactly conducive to drive participation. The members are depressed, anxious, etcetera, and what they write about is very personal. But, perhaps some love to the forum itself will help increase participation?

So, I ask, when is the last time there was a suggestion/improvement made to the forum? What is the point of asking for suggestions, if nothing is done? Some of the suggestions might not take a lot of time to implement. Maybe, a Psychiatrist who would gladly donate 40 minutes a week to post some insightful, original material would boost viewership? Or, a rotating group of them, so that their time would be shared over a month period? Or is every self-help guru just too interested in promoting themselves or their latest book that they wouldn't give something back? Sorry to sound negative, but all the so-called new-age, self-helpers (a lot of whom I really like), just start to look like any other person out to make a buck.

Thanks for reading my suggestion. And, does anyone know how to spell etcetera?
Butterflies&Flowers

Re: What's the point of a suggestion?

Post by Butterflies&Flowers »

Thank you for your post, inmymind. That is a GREAT suggestion. I don't think it is negative to observe that so many self-help gurus' priority is over the top self promotion. Glaring self-promotion has become the new normal in the self-help guru and psychotherapy community. I remember an interaction I had with a very popular self-help guru. I complimented her and thanked her and she took it as a criticism and reamed me a new one on facebook -- go figure. I also know that I am not alone in having had MANY bad interactions with therapists, often over the issue of their incredibly inflated prices and their sense of entitlement. 20 years ago, a therapist I was interviewing suggested that I come in 3 times a week at $150 a session (this was in 1994!). I pointed out that that would cost me $1,800, and I couldn't afford it. When I wondered how people who don't earn large salaries afford treatment, her response was "I don't treat "street" people." That is a direct quote. For you Angelinos, her name is Patty Antin. Avoid like the plague.

I am lucky that I have been seeing a wonderful therapist for several years who charges an affordable fee and always works with me financially.

Anyway, great suggestion!! :clap:
inmymind

Post by inmymind »

Butterflies and Flower's, I've found most therapist will work with you on their fee's. Thanks your experience and opinion on the self-help guru's.
Butterflies&Flowers

Post by Butterflies&Flowers »

Yes, now they do, because they don't have any choice. The medical environment has changed so drastically in the last 2 decades that they would price themselves out of the market if they didn't have a sliding scale. But there was a time in the 90's and 2000's when therapists felt that they deserved a big slice of the pie that doctors and other high end earners in the medical field were getting. I live in Los Angeles, and there are enough very wealthy people here that therapists didn't have to lower their prices. Almost every therapist I interviewed said that their "sliding scale slots" were all filled up (whatever that means).

I had one therapist for 7 years who knew I didn't have a car (in L.A.) and couldn't afford one. I took the bus and walked. I was deeply depressed and the lack of transportation made my reclusiveness even worse. She would barely lower her fee and I had a deep sense from her that she was very uncomfortable with my money issues (various stories can be told about this). One day I saw a photograph on her desk of her standing next to a very expensive SUV. I asked her about the photo. She said "Oh, that's my son's SUV. He smashed it up the day before he graduated from High School." Then she looked at me and realized what she had said. I quit therapy with her the next day. Her sense of entitlement to "the good life" and spoiling her irresponsible son was paid for by my depression.

There is, among many, many therapists, an "us vs. them" attitude towards patients. Yes, that is changing. But there are still many creepy therapists stories on this site. Caveat emptor.
inmymind

Post by inmymind »

I wanted to say that I see progress on the suggestion box, and wanted to thank Paul and the Admins for moving forward on it. Thank you all for the work you do. I think you are making a difference in the fight to bring mental health issues to the mainstream and de-stigmatize them. Paul, you are a courageous soul.

We are all connected.
InMyMind
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Thank you for your suggestions and kind words. Let me check into seeing if any of the therapists I know would be interested in participating in the forum.

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.

Return to “Forum Suggestions/Problems”