Intrusive thoughts

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
kayle
Issues: MDD, PTSD, ADHD
preferred pronoun: She

Intrusive thoughts

Post by kayle »

Does anyone ever have a situation that they think MIGHT trigger them, but it ends up being okay.. but instead of that being the end of it, you rehash about infinity alternative endings and you just throw yourself to the wolves with panic over what didn't happen?

It sucks. Dealing with currently and wondering of any tips.
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

Re: Intrusive thoughts

Post by Murphy »

Not exactly, but I do/have done 2 similar things:

1. I often imagine these types of scenarios before they occur (and they usually end up not occurring). Like getting into arguments about random things, getting fired, my mom being a bitch about whatever she feels like being bitchy about today. I play out whole conversations in my head, and exactly how they'd go. I think sometimes I'm looking for someone to be angry with, someone to blame for feeling the way I do.

2. I had a severe medical/health/injury phobia for a while. It still hits occasionally, but it's gotten way better. Like I'd have a slight pain in my leg, so obviously I had a blood clot and I was going to die. Small tightness in my chest? Heart attack is imminent. Spiders around my house? Obviously they're poisonous, and they're going to bite me in my sleep, and I'm going to die. When I actually did have something wrong with me and needed major surgery, I took it really well. I didn't freak out. I was nervous, but I didn't have any panic attacks, and really just took it all in stride. I was nervous the day of surgery (especially because I had to consent to have my ovaries and/or uterus removed in case things were really bad in there), but it was OK. And I wasn't even grossed out by all my staples. After I was done with it a few weeks later, I realized that I had just faced one of my worst fears, but it came out OK in the end.

I would just try and focus on the positive, be proud of yourself that you made it through it. Be happy that the worst scenario didn't occur. Know that you deserve a good outcome. I think my advice is probably cliche and maybe not that helpful...
Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
kayle
Issues: MDD, PTSD, ADHD
preferred pronoun: She

Post by kayle »

A trigger I had roughly a month ago from someone I see in passing that was bothering me that led to this post, was amplified this morning. Finally, I broke down and emailed a distant friend that works in mental health for some tips. This is what I gathered and has worked well this morning, at least:

Reconstructing the thought pattern by fact checking your current situation.
Where are you now and why is it safe?
What is the date?
It's been 7 years since my trauma, where will I be in another 7 years?

Avoid thinking of alternative situations.
Even the ones where you are a total badass.
This is what will raise your blood pressure and activate fight or flight.
Flex exercises are easy and discreet if you're in a social situation.

Posting in case anyone needs a booster.
rc409
Issues: Suicide, bi polar, depression, addiction
preferred pronoun: he

Post by rc409 »

Also with noting. Its a fact that 95% of what we worry about never comes true.

Return to “PTSD”