Scientists Find Possible Cause of Bipolar Disorder

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
ScottMentalPod

Post by ScottMentalPod »

http://www.govexec.com/excellence/promi ... der/72848/

Soon a cheap DNA test will be able to tell you what medication you should take. Yeah for science!

"The researchers then explored how extra amounts of Shank3 protein wreak havoc inside the brain. In lab studies that examined brain cells, called neurons, derived from the Shank3 mice, the researchers found that higher-than-normal levels of Shank3 boosted the number of dendritic spines on the neurons. That’s a key finding, because dendritic spines are structures that neurons use to receive excitatory signals.

Next came studies looking at the effects of two mood-stabilizing drugs commonly prescribed for bipolar disorder. In mouse studies, the researchers first tested whether the drug lithium reversed the effects of too much Shank3. It didn’t. That’s not particularly surprising, given that we know that lithium also doesn’t help a significant subset of humans with bipolar disorder.

The researchers then gave another drug often used for bipolar disorder, valproate, to the Shank3 mice. It worked—reversing the animals’ hyperactivity and sound sensitivity, as well as correcting abnormal signaling activity in the brain.

All of this—the latest study and the future work it will fuel—adds up to encouraging news for the more than 5 million U.S. adults affected by bipolar disorder. It also provides yet another compelling example of how basic research aimed at understanding fundamental biology may lead to more precise and effective ways to treat complex medical conditions."
rlmo

Re: Scientists Find Possible Cause of Bipolar Disorder

Post by rlmo »

I was just diagnosed bipolar and for the short term (one month) my new doctor put me on Zyprexa, and mentioned that for the long term, he will likely move me to lithium or Depacote(sp?). In this article it says that lithium is only good for a small subset of bipolar patients. I'm already hesitant about lithium, though I'm not sure why I have a negative feeling toward it, and now I'm questioning it even more...
- push buttons and hope for the best - http://www.buildingbeyond.me
ScottMentalPod

Post by ScottMentalPod »

@rlmo It will take some time to figure out what works for you. I recommend reading "The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide". http://www.amazon.com/Bipolar-Disorder- ... illhaph-20 Notice the link has Paul's Amazon tag on it to help support the show. The book not only talks about medications, but supplements, medication, stress reduction, light sensitivity, and how to "manage" your symptoms.

Please don't look at Bipolar as a burden, consider it a gift. It has taken me places I would have never gone to with it. I've even seen some people outgrow it. Your brain continue to grow until about 25. So it's possible after you get a handle on things, and your life calms down, you won't have to be on prescription drugs, but that's really depends on your specific brain. I even have a theory that some Bipolars have the opposite of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Even if that's not true, the goal is to become extremely self aware of how you think, so you can quickly figure out what works for you.
rlmo

Post by rlmo »

Thanks so much for your response, Scott. I will check out the book you mentioned. I'm glad to hear you speak with such positivity. It gives me a little hope :)
- push buttons and hope for the best - http://www.buildingbeyond.me

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”